Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker

Hi all, compete newbie here.
    I would like to buy my husband a smoker for his birthday. I only want to spend around 500$. I searched my local barbecue store and they have the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker around my price range. Do you recommend? I know I should be searching former posts but this would take me days, hours, and weeks. Thank you, Peggy

If your husband is already set up for grilling and you just want to add a smoker, then the WSM is a very good choice. If, on the other hand, you're looking for something for both grilling and smoking, the Weber 26" kettle would be my personal first choice for a charcoal burner.

BTW, welcome to your 1st post here in the Pit ...

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      + 1 and welcome to The Pit.

Welcome to the Pit Peggy! The Weber Smokey Mountain (WSM) is a great smoker, not just because I own one
    It does a great job smoking meats and imparting some seriously delicious smoke flavor. It isn't a set it and forget it type smoker right out of the box. Takes some learning to manage the smoker temps but that really is part of the fun! It is not difficult to use and once one gets a handful of cooks under the belt it can be that set and forget cooker for the most part. You will get a LOT of opinions here and some other great questions as well which should help. Oh, and happy birthday to you husband!

Comment

• Jared49
      Jared49 commented
      Editing a comment
      ⬆️ What he said and welcome to the pit family. I have WSM 18.5” and love it. He will love the 22”

The WSN smoker is certainly a good cooker. As noted above, not a set and forget cooker though. Perhaps as alternatives a Pit Barrel Cooker? (PBC)
    Or an Oklahoma Joe’s Bronco?

Comment

I think the Weber Smokey Mountain would be a fine choice in your price range. I have the 22.5" and really like it, although I am still learning the ins and outs of it.

Comment

I’m a big fan of the WSM. Easy to use, and easy to keep temps on. I don’t own one, but have used it several times.

Comment

I've had a WSM 18" for 5 years, and I'd buy it again if it broke (which it won't).

Comment

Yup. If your husband has something already to grill steaks, then the WSM is a good choice. Another option is the Oklahoma Joe Bronco barrel smoker, which is just $350.

The Oklahoma Joe’s® Bronco Drum Smoker gives more so you get more. More precision and more control to an authentic smoking experience.

if he does not have a grill already for steaks, then it is hard to go wrong with a SNS grill which is essentially a Weber kettle with a bunch of thoughtful upgrades that most Weber owners have to make to their kettles anyway.

SnS Grills is the leading provider of high-quality BBQ charcoal inserts and grills. Our inserts and grills are perfect for backyard barbecues, camping trips, tailgating or any outdoor adventure. From beginner to championship BBQ-ing we have a solution for your small batch smoking and grilling needs. We help you BBQ!

Comment

I love mine. It took some time to figure it out but that’s part of the fun. I added a pellet grill to compliment it and still use it.

Comment

Another option is the Masterbuilt Gravity smoker. Mine is pretty awesome.

Masterbuilt® Gravity Series® Charcoal Grill + Smokers. The next evolution in charcoal grilling and smoking is here. Smoke and sear capability. WiFi Bluetooth connectivity. The GravityFed™ Charcoal Hopper holds up to 15 hours of fuel and the DigitalFan™ Control maintains desired temperature. Set it and go.

Comment

With a $500 budget, you could purchase an 18" WSM and a fan and controller. That would deliver a set it and forget it smoking experience.

Comment

Hi Peggy and welcome to Pitmaster! It’s a very friendly place, for sure. No flame wars happen here. Except over what we put in our chili, but that’s another story ;-) …. Anyhow, I have a Weber Smokey Mountain 22” and think it is outstanding. I would highly recommend getting the 22” just because of the amount of food it can cook. It has two racks and each can handle a full brisket or 3 racks of ribs laid flat. Two weeks ago, I cooked 2 pork shoulders and 3 racks of ribs in mine and it handled it like a champ.

The WSM 22 costs about $400. Plus you could buy him a box of wood chunks from Fruitawood for adding to the fire for smoke. And you will be right there, price wise. And he will think you are amazing!

Comment

• Attjack
                    Attjack commented
                    Editing a comment
                    How many people do you figure the 22" would feed at full capacity? Peggy might not need that much space.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Attjack the thing I like on the WSM 22 is that I cook one rack of ribs for my wife and I up to multiple pork shoulders and racks of ribs for 30-40 people ….. and I can do that for a not expensive price for the cooker.

• ecowper
                    ecowper commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Attjack at full capacity, I could do 2 full packer briskets, 12 racks of ribs, or 6 pork shoulders. Or a combo of that ….. the 6 pork shoulders would cover the most …. 100 people

Welcome Peggy. You came to the right place. I do not have an WSM now but have in the past. Great smoker. You have already gotten great advice. Does he have other cookers? Depending upon the rest of his lineup, I would also echo the SNS Kettle.

Comment

WSM's smoke stuff jus fine, an there are folks who've won National BBQ Championships, usin em...

Welcome, an wishin ya th best of luck, in yer decision,,,,

BTW: Snazzy Brim ya got, goin on there, Lady!
                    Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 20, 2021, 09:25 PM. Reason: +p

Comment

I too would suggest the 22" WSM. Why it's a good choice has been well explained above. There is another benefit to the WSM however. You will have a couple of years of Birthday and Christmas presents covered as well by getting the mods and toys that go with the WSM. The one thing I would strongly recommend getting at the same time is a good leave in digital thermometer. One with ability to handle at least two probes is best. The one that comes preinstalled On the WSM is really only good for plugging up the hole Weber drilled in the lid. There are a lot of reviews over on the free side, with prices ranging from "that's not bad" to "Oh Boy!" Having an accurate reading of both pit and meat temperature is very important to making good BBQ. You're husband is a very lucky man to have a wife that equates "Birthday" with "new cooker". Next year, when he has mastered the WSM and is looking to upgrade, we'll introduce to to a great little company we call LSG.
                      Last edited by willxfmr; August 20, 2021, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here