Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is MCS Partly Fueled by Boredom with Success?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    SC Grillmore - welcome! This is an incredibly helpful place with good folks. And yeah, what I said above not universally true of course, just my observations.

• SC Grillmore
    commented on 's reply
    A really interesting point rickgregory — I just joined ‘the pit’ though I’ve been a big fan for years. And I couldn’t possibly claim to speak for more women than myself, but there seems to be a socialization around ‘boys and their toys / boys will be boys’ / it’ll keep them happy - that has never really felt liked it applied to me and my girlfriends. We all have our things, but I do feel pressure to be ‘practical’ when it comes to any big purchase- especially when family needs still exist.

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    Panhead John Troutman it's actually starting to rain, and they all want in the mudroom or in the house..

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    and you'd have been absolutely right!

• Troutman
    commented on 's reply
    Agree that is a cool pic for sure !!

• Rfhd69
    replied
    My cookers are like golf clubs. Each one has a specific purpose or slight advantage over the other. Can never have too many IMO! MCS is a healthy sickness haaaaaaaa!

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    replied
    Forget the cookers. That has got to be the greatest/funniest picture ever posted here. 😂 I mean, who gets 2 chickens, a dog and cat in a pose like that! Especially….2 chickens? WTF? They’re interested in a dishwasher? 😂 And that cat….standing up? OMG. 😂
    Last edited by Panhead John; June 9, 2021, 08:53 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jfrosty27
    replied
    This thread is great. Too many cookers? Never. I have nine. I use them all but surely some far more than others. Could I do with less? Absolutely. But I’m having fun with a hobby I love and I am looking daily for cooker #10. 🤷‍♂️

Leave a comment:

• SmokingPat
    replied
    I'm not going to lie: I thought the title said 'Is MCS Partly Fueled by Bourbon with Success?'
    I almost replied 'Heck, yes!' 😜

Leave a comment:

• SmokingPat
    commented on 's reply
    I have had a couple of friends say that my food is really good, and I should open a restaurant. Smiling, I say 'Thank you.' Internally, I scream 'Oh, my god -- a restaurant, no way!'
    I have much respect for people that can run a successful restaurant. Even if it is not the most famous, running a restaurant is hard.

• rickgregory
    commented on 's reply
    Addict.

• LA Pork Butt
    commented on 's reply
    JGo37 I have given it some thought in the past. I think it could work especially with merchants selling grills unavailable at big box stores. Try the grill you might like it.

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    ? um, what? 5 is the minimum - smoke, grill, 2-zone, griddle, sear. And of my two kettles, one sees strictly mesquite, the other mild woods. I really need a third for hickory-only. Beef sees mesquite, pork sees hickory. Sometimes a spatchcock will get a mesquite bath, but other cuts like quarters and thighs get pecan. Somewhere I got the idea that I didn't want my cookers 'cross-seasoned'.

So I agree. No one needs five cookers, but 7 or 8 is really useful... I'm kidding. (no, I'm not)

• rickgregory
    replied
    There is a collecting bug that, in my experience, is seen more in men than women and it kicks in around the topic of the collectible, in this case, cookers.

What I mean is that while I know lots of women who collect wine and have palates just as good or better than the guys, the collectors skew male and especially the forum posters do. This same thing happened when I was into Japanese knives. Same here. In all cases, the forum posters are almost all guys. Like here, there are some women who post but they post more about the results than the gear. Their results are as good as any but most aren't into More X Syndrome. The whole thing is interesting to me - I can only assume that guys get socialized to collect gear at some point and that same thing isn't done for women.

Face it, no one needs 5+ cookers. But some of us catch the bug to try out new things and then, instead of selling the ones we rarely use, we let the sit. But how many of you use more than 2 or 3 of our cookers with any regularity (and no, once a season doesn't count)?

Leave a comment:

• JGo37
    commented on 's reply
    I was wondering when that pic would snag a comment... LoL ;o)

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here