Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Propane Wok

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Propane Wok

Is there a section for a propane wok?

RTIC has one and somebody south of them named Fire Disk make one.

I’m thinking this is they next purchase after I replace the pellet smoker I lost in the Great Texas Ice Storm. Just not sure which one I need to have by the 4th of July.

I don't have a wok per se but I have a discada from Maverick Fabrication in Sanger, Texas which is close to a wok. Problem: I can't find their website now, they may not have survived COVID. There are several others who make these.

Here is my post about the discada: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...riddle-discada

Comment

rectec has one called the Matador.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Seems like without a real wok you can't use standard wok technique.

Hi I purchased this last year. Throws tons of heat for Wok Hei
      We offer products of outdoor wok burners covering both propane and natural gs fuel types. Our products are as powerful as restaurant stoves.

Here is a Serious Eats Discussion on the topic:

The video version:

Higher end option:
      Cook your favorite authentic Chinese recipes using the best x72 high-heat wok cart kit on the market! Learn why restaurants and homes alike love the EZ-Wok!

Comment

• Polarbear777
        Polarbear777 commented
        Editing a comment
        Wonderwok is impressive. Those are good links.

I just finished reading this article about the Wokmon that converts you kitchen range.

Also from seriouseats is this article about propane wok burners which you will want to read.

Comment

This is what I’m looking at.

I’ve seen a few different versions of this idea over the years, it’s not a griddle, it’s kind of a wok and this one is much more portable than the first one I saw 10 years ago.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          The thing is you're not going to get the flames licking your meat and veggies as you toss the wok. My understanding is that's key for authentic stir fry flavor. That said, I used a cast iron wok last night that could not do that, and I use my EVO for stir fry all the time. The food is great but I understand it's missing a key component you only get with classic wok technique.

I guess I don't see the attraction of this, versus a standard carbon steel wok on a high BTU outdoor burner, and you can get a 60K to 105K BTU burner for well under $100, and supply whatever wok you want.

The grill disk one looks flat, like a griddle with a raised rim basically, not like a wok at all. Why not just get an outdoor griddle if going that way?

I guess I just don't quite get it. If I were going for a propane burner/wok combo, there are a lot of cheap options out there, like this one:

https://www.sportsmans.com/camping-g...ombo/p/1301948

I have a King Kooker two burner cart for brewing, and it works well:

Last edited by jfmorris; May 27, 2021, 01:04 PM.

Comment

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          Check out the Serious Eats link above. It talks about turkey cookers and other burners.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Old Glory my first outdoor patio burner was a turkey fryer combo kit I picked up off the side of the road - a 60,000 BTU rusted up burner that worked just fine, and a 7 gallon aluminum pot. I used it for brewing beer for years, and used it last summer for a low country boil.

The one issue with most of the turkey fryer burners is that they are pretty low to the ground, and unless you set it up on a table or something, you'll be sitting, stooping or squatting to use your wok on one.

I agree with jfmorris . To attain the "wok hei" you don’t need to go to the Tim the Toolman school of cooking. It is not whether you have a Binford 5000 set up,givin you a bazillion BTU that gets the cookin done. It is a wok. The millions of Chinese using woks, some on the side of roads or in small villages do not have jet powered afterburners torching the countryside to attain their tasty dishes. They do have woks though, simple woks. It’s one of those Merican things, gimme power! Nope, a wok will get the job done, a simple wok!

Comment

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup, Attjack , & a heat source, sticks’ll get purty hot.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          I would like to see a Binford 5000 outdoor patio burner! Tim the Toolman would probably melt the wok, or burn a hole right through the middle of it, haha!

Most of my wok usage is on a 20-something year old Kenmore gas cooktop, with burners that are probably around 10-12,000 BTU's at the most. Bet you could even do it on top of a Smokey Joe in a pinch!

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          jfmorris , sure with the Smokey Joe. Got the hat too!

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here