Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Choosing a smoker???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You thought that was good. Today is a new day!

Comment

I realize nobody else is mentioning it, but the Masterbuilt Thermotemp XL 340G is an extremely good vertical cabinet smoker with 4 shelves about 13 x 19, has two doors, one for the cooking chamber and one for the propane burner. It has a long vertical window to watch the food without having to open the cooking chamber door. It uses wood chunks and puts out plenty of smoke flavor. Has a built-in removable water pan. Best of all, it is thermostatically controlled. Max Good reviewed it and gave it a platinum medal. I have been using one since July 2019 with no major issues of any kind. I have done whole turkeys, ribs (2 slabs per shelf), Easter ham, couple dozen chicken thighs, pork butts and briskets. Last time I looked it is in stock and going for around $380.

Here is the link for the review: https://amazingribs.com/ratings-revi...temp-xl-review

Comment

I have 2 cookers so far. I want an SnS kettle and a gravity-fed cooker in the future. Masterbuilt went through some upgrades with their gravity series, and the Char-Griller seems to have some nice features. Then, maybe a stick burner one day, but I am enjoying the ease of use of the Pit Barrel and the pellet smoker. The SnS and gravity cookers seem so easy to use.

Comment

The Weber bullet may not be automatic, but my experience is set it and forget it. Even when I have screwed up nothing but goodness has come from that smoker.

Comment

• smokyYank
            smokyYank commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, GW. How many levels are in it? If it's more than 1, don't you need to remove the upper grates to get to the lower ones?

What fuel does it use?

• Panhead John
            Panhead John commented
            Editing a comment
            smokyYank Not to butt in here, just thought I’d help. I’ve got a Weber Smokey Mountain, aka Bullet, also. They do have 2 cooking grates in each of the 3 models they offer. So, yes you would need to remove the food and grate from the top level to access the lower level. For slow cooks though, if using both grates, you usually wouldn’t need access very often to the lower level. If running probes in the meat and smoker, it could be a little bit of an ordeal reaching bottom grate. Uses charcoal.

I have a Weber Genesis natural gas grill. I don't smoke anything on it, just use it for grilling (chicken sandwiches, steaks, burgers), as well veggies and potatoes. I also have a WSM, but didn't find myself using it that much last year. And it wasn't because I wasn't home enough either. I recently bought a Grilla pellet smoker, and I really like it. The WSM was a work gift and I am going to hang on to it and still use it. The Grilla is nice because it's a true set and forget it, and my wife can use it as well. She won't go near the WSM. I had my fair share of flame outs on some overnight cooks I have done over the years and oddly enough, that's what lead me down the path a pellet smoker: I started looking at wifi thermometers. And one thing lead to another....and yada yada yada I ended up with a pellet smoker. And couldn't be happier.

Comment

I'm late to the party, but I'll toss my thoughts in anyway. Given the specs you have laid out, I'd go with one of these It's a touch over 1K in price but should hold temp pretty well, and have all the space you are looking for. Add a Big Kahuna to it and you can have a ton of control over temp and smoke profile. I talked a guy I work with into getting one, and he has thanked me many times with tasty bits of goodness that came off it. I don't have first hand experience running it, but the meat that comes off it hits the marks well. For reference, this is his first smoker so he is starting from scratch on the learning curve. If my Camp Chef ever gives up the ghost, This is most likely what will replace it.

Comment

• Dalmore
              Dalmore commented
              Editing a comment
              I like the look of pellet grill sear station that company sells. And they have an UBS pellet grill kit!

So many options!

Comment

Thanks a bunch, guys! Good info...

When I get a chance I'll post the pictures...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here