Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, what do you especially like about your cooker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really like my PBC. I like its simplicity. While it isn't entirely set-and-forget, it is fairly hands off. Also, for big protein (pork butt, ribs, turkey) that flavor of fat dripping on the coals gets you that "pit flavor."

Comment

• HawkerXP
      HawkerXP commented
      Editing a comment
      PBC, PBC, PBC!

I have only cooked on Weber Kettles and the WSM. But, what I like about my kettles, I see them as a blank canvas of ways that I can cook on them. I cook big fire often with full wood splits, and of course charcoal & chunks, build zones with firebricks, I essentially just think of them as a fire bowl. Limited mostly by my imagination. Yet, I am sure I would enjoy many others, if given the chance to play. I don't tend to have any problems setting them and forgetting them for a full night sleep, or even just leaving it going, and leaving for a few hours with confidence.

Comment

My favorite is my first real cooker, my WSM. I learned to cook on it first, pre-AR, and I can get it to run at 225-250 without fans or anything pretty easily. I use the kettle and the Chimp more just cause they are more convenient, especially the Chimp, but my fist love is the WSM.

Comment

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Richard Chrz I have a fan too but I don’t use it very much either

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        The only reason I use a controller is because there are constant gusting and changing winds here in Dallas. It is rare to have calm mornings.

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        ..., ..., ...!

I love the "near-ceramic" heat retention of the Akorn kamado without having to worry about cracking ceramic. Every time I do an 18hr cook and still see fuel left over, I am impressed once again.

But really, that's second to the price. I'm sure I'll upgrade to something "better" eventually, but it's really hard to beat the bang for your buck of the Akorn.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        I had one and once I learned how to use it became my favourite but it was cheaply made, I knew it would not last. After the wind blew it off the deck I repaired it and sold it and bought a Primo XL.

Considering everything put my Blackstone is charcoal/wood, I think I just have an unhealthy obsession with fire....

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Fire Good, Teufel Hund!!!

Trust Old Seabee, in this...

That she does my laundry as well

Comment

For me, I have a gasser, smoker, griddle and a plain Jane charcoal grill. Besides being outdoors cooking with these things which I love, I really like that the house doesn't get all funked up with decaying aromas of cooks and having the other half say that the house stinks or smells like Waffle House. Besides that, they all do their work well.

Comment

Another WSCG fan here. Love the versatility and ease of use. I still struggle with getting the temp 100% right but that's on me not the cooker. The pellet cooker is super simple to use but has limitations.

Comment

Just ran across this thread so I will throw in mine...

Like someone mentioned before each cooker has it's purpose: I have a Weber Kettle, PBC, Blackstone 22" and Meadow Creek PR 42G...

The Weber is great for all purpose use...the PBC is great for ease of use, volume, flavor, especially with ribs and chicken...The Blackstone is great for flattop cooking...the PR42G is amazing for flavor and when I need to cook a lot of something...

If I could only have one though it would probably be the PBC followed by the Kettle...

Comment

Un-predictability....darn thing has a mind of its own. Reminds me of the wife.

Comment

I have to say, I do like my MB560 quite a bit. I've expanded as to why extensively ( see https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...going-thoughts ) on its own thread. My main concern is reliability and how/when it fails and I can't fix it. I will say it meets my needs better than the Weber/PBC I had previously due to the ease of maintaining temp plus mobility and shelves. I now have a Akorn, as well, which is fantastic for cooks where I want to play with the fire more. I will working on learning that cooker as well, and seeing what recipes turn out better.

When the MB560 dies, I will either replace it with a new one, or upgrade to the Grilla OG.
                Last edited by STEbbq; November 26, 2021, 09:57 AM.

Comment

• STEbbq
                  STEbbq commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Though I gotta say, EVERYTHING I sous vide with my Joule is perfect. There’s something to be said for removing the ability to screw things up.

Traeger Timberline 850, "How do I love thee, let me count the ways".
                (1) Why Traeger Wood Pellet Grills - Bing video
                (1) Traeger Pellet Grill Review, should you buy one? - Bing video A stick burner turned Traeger Pellet Griller
                (1) why a pellet grill - Bing for the 3-2-1 Rib
                (1) 3-2-1 Ribs - How To - Bing video
                Even Harry Soo shows how to cook good 3-2-1 Ribs.3-2-1 321 Ribs THE BIG LIE? | BBQ Champion Harry Soo SlapYoDaddyBBQ.com - YouTube
                Happy Traeger to you and PBR too
                Last edited by bbqLuv; November 26, 2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

I like the SnS kettle a lot.
                  Very versatile. Does what it's supposed to.

But i still think my favorite is the PBC.
                  Flavor profile from the meat juice hitting the coals is fantastic and always gets rave reviews

It somehow has magic powers to cook faster.
                  I can't explain it. I know it's true.

Everything comes out of it great. And if I can do it, it's nearly fool proof.

i also like that it doesn't look fancy. I dig the functional aesthetic.

Comment

• HawkerXP
                    HawkerXP commented
                    Editing a comment
                    ..., ..., ...!

Also just discovering this thread:

My COS: Versatility. I can do substantially set and forget at any temp using charcoal and chunks together with my FireBoard/Fan setup. As a stick burner it makes great tasting food, now that I am starting to get the hang of running it as such. Capacity: More than enough space with my second rack mod. As a hot and fast and/or reverse sear machine: Works extremely well with a piece of expanded metal laid on top of the charcoal basket and stoked with the FireBoard Fan. For Front searing, just take the seared steak and put it in the cook chamber with a probe inserted and set the fan to keep it at 225 until the probe reads 120°.

My Smokey Joe: Also versatility with the Mini WSM mod. I can use it to smoke smaller amounts for just the 2 of us and also burn very little fuel. Works well as a small regular charcoal grill. I even have a mini-Vortex for it.

My MB ThermoTemp XL: Everything about it. Especially that I can hang ribs - at least 4 racks - in it. It holds temp remarkably well, especially if you are not anal about the actual temp not exactly matching the numbers on the dial. Fuel efficiency: while I don't have any numbers, it will run for several cooks on a single 20 lb propane tank. That is way more efficient for a large capacity cooker than anything I have ever burned charcoal or logs in. I really don't have any significant issues with it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Jus Lookit Yew, Dew!!!

Nice New Avatar, Brother Barrister!!!

Uuhhmm, which cooker, Sunny?

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
                    LA Pork Butt commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Your favorite! I would love to hear what you love/hate about your Open Range cooker.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here