Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to Replace 18" WSM with new Smoker/Grill Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If your budget is $1200, desired equipment that will do smoke/grill and your WSM 18" is too small then I agree with other posters to go with 2 separate pieces of equipment.

1) A WSM 22" or a Pit Barrel Cooker (PBC)

2) Kettle grill with a Vortex.

You'll have extra money left over. Personally the PK360 is a great grill, but out of your budget parameters.

Also, you don't have to quote to reply. There is a comment button at the bottom of each post (except for the original poster). That way when you respond to someone they will receive a message that you replied.

Comment

Have you considered the Weber Summit Charcoal? It is a fine cooker, both grilling and smoking. If you can find a SnS for it(they quit making them) you're in the money.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
        Jfrosty27 commented
        Editing a comment
        Outside his budget of $1,200 though. Right?

• au4stree
        au4stree commented
        Editing a comment
        I’m sorry, I guess I still consider the new "kamado" version the Summit. The non-table one does not have the gas assist. $999 on Weber’s site.

Welcome from Virginia. I just cannot stop at just one. I have a Camp Chef Griddle, an SNS Kamado and a Weber Summit Gasser. Those 3 are really a perfect combination for me.

Good luck in your research.

Comment

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        David, which do you use more - your griddle or your gasser? Since getting the Camp Chef FTG900, I think I've used my Weber Genesis II E-410 about 5-6 times. Of course, you have a high end gasser with side burners I imagine, versus a more basic one like mine... bet it has a rotisserie too.

• capitalhockey
        capitalhockey commented
        Editing a comment
        Hi there....I am from Northern VA....not sure if you can tell from my username..

do you know a good local wood supplier? I just buy from big box store but would like to get some locally

• DavidNorcross
        DavidNorcross commented
        Editing a comment
        Jim, I use that griddle more than any of my cookers. If I am in a hurry, I will fire up the Weber. Or I will use it to finish if needed. But my go to cookers are the SNS and the griddle.

Originally posted by capitalhockey View Post

Thanks for sharing your experience. You got me thinking it might be better to split my $1200 to get 2 separate units....one for great smoking and one for great grilling. That might be easier to find than one combo unit that is great at both for same price.

Do you think that is a better strategy?
      I do. Having had as many as 8 cookers along with assorted outdoor burners in the backyard before, and currently sitting at 5, I feel that there are certainly some tools that are better for some jobs than for others. Right now I have an offset, a large gas grill (Weber Genesis II), a Weber Performer Deluxe, a Camp Chef flat top (FTG900) and the Slow 'N Sear Deluxe Kamado. The two that see the most use, by far, are the flat top and the kamado.

What I can tell you right now is that SINCE getting the flat top last June, as a gift from some truly great friends during a time my wife and I were going through a lot, I have cooked on the Weber Genesis II a handful of times. I find that for quick cooks, and for any type of flat cut of meat, the griddle is much more fun to cook on, and truly can produce better sears than you get on a regular gas grill. I do fajitas, hibachi style stir fry, breakfasts (4 pounds of bacon at a time!), smash burgers, thinner steaks and chops (1" or less), boneless skinless chicken thighs or breasts, fish, and so on. It's really hard to screw a meal up on a flat top. This is why so many commercial kitchens have them. It's my goto outdoor cooker for about anything other than smoking, or thick irregular cuts like bone in chicken.

My ideal outdoor kitchen after having had about every type of grill and smoker other than a pellet smoker would consist of a charcoal kettle or kamado, and a flat top.

I am inspired by this thread to actually build the flat top and my kamado into a nice outdoor kitchen:

https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...nally-complete

And if a kettle is not enough for all your smoking needs - store that WSM somewhere for the times you just gotta smoke more than 5 racks of ribs. Right now, I can tell you that I *RARELY* use my offset anymore, and if I gotta smoke more than I can cook on the kamado, I'll spill over to the Weber Performer (22" kettle) instead, as the offset is very fuel hungry and requires a lot of attention.
      Last edited by jfmorris; March 30, 2021, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• capitalhockey
        capitalhockey commented
        Editing a comment
        thats a nice collection you got there...only thing missing is a pellet grill! I am a charcoal guy and dont think I can enjoy low smoke pellet bbq

is that your same concern from getting one?

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        capitalhockey I've not really had the opportunity to spend a lot of cash on a grill in a few years - first it was 3 kids in college with 7-8 years of 2 or 3 overlapping, then 3 weddings in 18 months, then my wife's cancer.... I was blessed to be given the flat top, and to win the kamado. When I won in January, I could have chosen a pellet smoker rather than the kamado, but feel that the pellet rig will have parts fail in a few years, the kamado will last practically forever.

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        And yes - I have heard too much about the smoke profile being lighter on pellet cookers, and love the results I get with wood or charcoal with wood chunks. So I have a fear of not being happy. My research though has the Grilla original design (round upright) on my short list of toys if I were to get a pellet smoker. I am told it has a good smoke profile, and its at a price point I would consider if I had room for more out there.

+1 for the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill.

Comment

If you added a 26" kettle and kept the WSM, sounds like you would be covered. I have an 18" WSM, a 22" kettle/SNS and a Grilla Chimp pellet grill that are in regular use. I have had all 3 running at once - turkey on the WSM, ribs on the kettle and a small butt on the Chimp. I think the combination would work out well and since you are used to the vents on the WSM, setting up a 26" kettle /SNS would be pretty easy. And the kettle would handle the high heat grilling/searing stuff. That would fit the budget and leave some dollars left over for some premium proteins... Or, another toy like a propane stove or a griddle like jfmorris has mastered... Mine is this:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	shopping.jpg Views:	0 Size:	442.9 KB ID:	1010761
        Just so you know, we are a bunch of enablers - we try to enable others to spend more on new toys, which in turn makes us want to spend more - it is a vicious circle...
        Last edited by klflowers; March 30, 2021, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• capitalhockey
          capitalhockey commented
          Editing a comment
          As an fellow WSM user, how did you like the pellet? are happy with smoke flavor? that concern has kept me from committing to pellet...I read guys have do mods for more smoke on an expensive pellet grill

• DavidNorcross
          DavidNorcross commented
          Editing a comment
          This is excellent advice. With the Camp Chef stoves you can purchase multiple attachments. Highly recommend.

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          capitalhockey, the pellet does not impart a strong smoke flavor, at least not the model I have. I got it more for convenience-we have an RV and I wanted to travel with it (the Grilla Chimp is portable, kind of). Some of the others here say the Grilla OG gives a good smoke flavor, but I don’t think any pellet grill will compare with the WSM or kettle/sns for smoke.

22 wsm for big cooks and a 22 weber for grilling and small smokes. There is not a thing I would be unable to do with those two cookers.

Comment

• capitalhockey
          capitalhockey commented
          Editing a comment
          I also Briefly looked at ABS All Star but limited reviews on them....has not been judged by Amazing Ribs website....Good One got Platinum award. how do you like your unit? How long you had it?

• tenphases
          tenphases commented
          Editing a comment
          It's my brothers unit, I was helping him pick out a cooker. What stood out was superior build quality, thicker metal, bigger casters, stainless steel grates, bigger smoke and grill area. I've cooked on both and there is a big difference, I like the good one but it flies through charcoal because of the very thin metal. The paint also flakes and they are prone to rust. The all star doesn't use much fuel it will sit at 225 and 275 (that's all I've done).

• tenphases
          tenphases commented
          Editing a comment
          Call bbq guru in Paterson NJ, he is a super knowledgable guy with good prices and he will give you an honest opinion because he sells both cookers in his shop. That being "the Good One" is great and you can't go wrong with either one, enjoy!
          Last edited by tenphases; March 31, 2021, 03:09 AM.

Welcome to the Pit!

Sorry. To much to read above.

Weber kettle + SnS and a PBC works for us.

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Easy to use and puts out some good stuff.

Meadow Creek PR 36. It fits your budget and does everything you want it to really well. No compromises. You can set it up to grill a lot of food or indirect cook/smoke six racks of ribs (more if you buy the optional rib rack or additional shelf). Charcoal fired (with wood chunks).
        Last edited by Beefchop; March 30, 2021, 07:56 PM.

Comment

• capitalhockey
          capitalhockey commented
          Editing a comment
          PR36 a beast of a grill! Have you done a whole hog on yours?

Does it hold temps well?

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here