Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to Replace 18" WSM with new Smoker/Grill Combo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• jhapka
    replied
    I was thinking Good One Open Range before I got to the part in your post where you mentioned it. Looks like a fun cooker

Leave a comment:

• jpietrantone
    replied
    Welcome to the pit! I have a 22 WSM, a 22 kettle and recently added a Masterbuilt 1050. I got the 1050 for the same reason of wanting more space while keeping the great charcoal and wood chunk taste profile.

I went with the Masterbuilt instead of a pellet smoker for that main reason. I have a large property to maintain and a young child so wanted something that I could set and forget but not compromise on my preferred taste.

That being said, I have heard nothing but great things about the open range cookers.

Leave a comment:

• Looking to Replace 18" WSM with new Smoker/Grill Combo

Long time user of 18'' WSM....looking for more space (had to cut rib to fit inside lid) and some direct heat grilling in a combo unit for my next purchase. For smoking, I like to do a lot of ribs, occasional butts and a few briskets. For grilling, I like to do burgers, hot dogs, steaks and chicken (used to do this on gas grill that I sold). My budget is up to 1200. I prefer one combo unit since I have a small deck space.

I did a wide range of research from pellet grills to Slow N Sear kettle. It's hard to find one that does both well. I am used to set and forget with WSM. I don't mind dialing in on vents but don't want to tend to a fire all day.

I heard lots of good things about pellets but I am hesitant due to less smoke flavor and limited direct grilling. The Slow N Sear kettle was good at both but lacked space (I like to do 3 to 4 ribs per session).

From my research, it seems like the Good One Open Range was the only thing that could provide what I was looking for: 1) Set and Forget temp controls, 2) Good at long smoke, 3) Direct grilling over charcoals , 4) Charcoal/wood flavors that I am used to.

I am wondering if there is something else I should consider that could do those things. I am about to pull the trigger and was offered a 5% discount with a free shelf, free cover and free shipping (about $1100 total). Is this a good deal or should I wait for Memorial Day sales?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here