Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO- Dr. Greg Blonder: "The Magic Of Salt: So Vital, And So Misunderstood" (53 mins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Niermeyer
    replied
    I cannot stress this enough...this video alone has improved my approach and final result to each and every dish (raving reviews from my now silenced peanut gallery). Thank you for the fantastic review and deep dive into this necessary procedure! Additionally, thank you for the other "Interviews with the Pros", I've watched each multiple times and cannot get enough. With great material like this on the Pitmaster club, I still can't believe how cheap it is... Worth every penny! Thanks again

Leave a comment:

• Pastrami Joe
    replied
    I'm a new member and a bit late to the party. Regardless your presentation was great. Just the right amount of general science without being too dense. I loved it and learned lots. Now I know why my pork but that I dry rub does not hit a significant plateau.

My question is about pastrami. I now corn my own brisket in a wet brine. I've never seen a dry brine for pastrami. I do get good results and lots of gragging rights with my friends, however I'd like to know if you feel there is an alternative in the realm of dry brining for pastrami?

Leave a comment:

• docblonder
    replied
    It was also our first video in the series, so a bit rough around the edges. But the advice is solid.

Leave a comment:

• rgriffeath
    replied
    This video seminar was just spectacular. Thank you for such informative, method-based information. Much appreciated!

Leave a comment:

• Mitrakas
    replied
    I am only in about 15 min on this video but am blown away by how much useful information is on here. Doc Blonder and Meathead, Thank you very much!!!

Leave a comment:

• David Parrish
    replied
    Check out Meathead's Last Meal Ribs recipe and you'll see he's adjusted the salt in consideration of the ribs. With anything else cooking, a little trial and discovery is in order. Find the salt level that suits your palate.

Leave a comment:

• BriggsBBQ
    replied
    I noticed that you mention 1/2 tsp. per lb. However we all know that a rack of ribs is going to have a much higher bone to meat ratio then a brisket. I would think bone is either more or less dense than meat....my guess is more. So wouldn't that throw a wrench in the standard 1/2 tsp per lb. or maybe modify it a little for ribs or meat with a lot of bones. Different salt for chicken breast vs thighs or drums.

Leave a comment:

• SteveFromLafayette
    replied
    Fantastic video! Thank you MH and Dr.Blonder!

The Warren Buffet joke flew right over my head!

Leave a comment:

• amateur.cook
    replied
    100°F brine: chicken breasts
    During the 100°F brine, the cook could dunk the protein in iced water. The thermal conductivity of water would ensure a quick exit from the danger zone (40°F-140°F).

I'd imagine foodborne microorganisms would grow much faster at increasing temperatures within the danger zone, so the 2/4 hour rule may not apply.

Given the above, what approximate time period would be deemed safe at 100°F?

Leave a comment:

• ecully
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Pit Boss. I am enjoying the journey immensely.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    Keep on smokin ecully. Being a great outdoor cook is a journey, not a destination.

• ecully
    commented on 's reply
    ​I've been doing it so long, I don't really remember. I think I thought it would help with juiciness (hangs head in shame...). I have stopped that practice and thank y'all for the great info. This website has truly changed my life... Thanks

• Meathead
    commented on 's reply
    Salt dissolves in water, not in oil, so you will hamper the dissolution of the salt and slow or prevent its penetration of the meat. Since salt is that rare compound that can penetrate, you normally would not want to interfere. If you want to wet the meat before the salt, that helps a little, but it isn't necessary.

• David Parrish
    commented on 's reply
    ecully just curious, why would you apply oil when you apply the salt?

• ecully
    replied
    Wonderful video -- many thanks Doc and Meathead. I have a question about salting that may be on the site, but haven't seen, so here goes. What is the impact of applying a light coating of oil (veggie or olive) on a hunk o' meat and then applying salt vs. no oil?

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here