Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO- Dr. Greg Blonder: "The Magic Of Salt: So Vital, And So Misunderstood" (53 mins)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also enjoyed the seminar. changed my mind a lot about salting, brining, my rubs and all. my wife asks are you going to change every thing you do and my answer was NO only the things I do not do correctly'

Comment

Originally posted by Papa Bob View Post
      I also enjoyed the seminar. changed my mind a lot about salting, brining, my rubs and all. my wife asks are you going to change every thing you do and my answer was NO only the things I do not do correctly'
      For me the most memorable part of the video was the argument against wet brining. After Dr. Blonder said this it made perfect sense... If you wet brine you really don't know how much salt you've added to the meat. When you dry brine it's obvious because you apply the salt directly.

Comment

Really interesting! This is going to change all I'm my rub recipes.. 😎

Comment

Hey, sorry for the late reply. I only just finished watching the seminar.

I'd like to ask Dr. Blonder where one can buy the steel mesh bags he uses for smoking salt?
          I've tried previously on a tray and was disappointed with the results.

Thanks!

Comment

I just watched this on archives. Wow. My question is this. Should I stop injecting my brisket with beef broth because it does nothing but increase the stall or should I continue because I use the Texas Crunch method.

Many Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by BBQ Stew View Post
              I just watched this on archives. Wow. My question is this. Should I stop injecting my brisket with beef broth because it does nothing but increase the stall or should I continue because I use the Texas Crunch method.

Many Thanks.
              Stick to the recipe. If any information comes out in a seminar that changes MH's thoughts on how to cook something, he updates the recipe.

Comment

This was a real eye opener and raises a lot of questions for me.

#1: If you want to make a 6% wet brine, what is the amount of table salt needed per quart of water?
                #2: Same question as above, but what is the amount of kosher salt needed per quart. I think it would be double the amount of table salt but I might be wrong.
                #3: Are the pores in chicken and pork the same size as read meat or are they larger or smaller?
                #4: If you are marinading a tough cut of beef, how far will the marinade travel into the meat over a four hour period? eight hours? 12 hours?
                #5: If you are using an acid like lemon juice in your marinade, will the acid travel into the meat at the same speed as water?

My reasoning for asking these questions is I wonder how much good a marinade actually does.

If any of you know the answers to these questions, please be kind enough to respond. I'm a stickler for detail and would like to know as much as possible. I'm a borderline intermediate BBQer and want to get better!

Thanks!

W. E. King
                Newport Beach, CA.

Comment

• docblonder
                  docblonder commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Only the salt and a few tiny flavor molecules, like garlic, will penetrate after a day or two. The rest sit on the surface. This is why Chinese food is so flavorful- they slice the meat thin enough that the marinade makes it to the center. Because the center is only an eight of an inch away.

Acids do not penetrate very quickly, and they tend to turn the surface to mush. Plus they slow smoke ring formation. I tend to use acids late in the smoke after the bark sets up, or in the final rest, so the flavor remains "bright".

Mr King, check out Meathead's brine page here.

1) Read about halfway down the page, at the subheading "The Simpler Blonder Brine (6.4%)" to see Meathead & Dr Blonder's recipe for a 6.4% brine. You'll notice the most correct way to do it is to weight the salt, but there are volume measurements too.

2) Typically speaking, table salt is more concentrated in a given volume since the grains are smaller and tighter packed. Therefore, we usually go about half when using table salt instead, or about double when using Kosher salt instead. The exact conversion Meathead lists as 1 cup Morton's table salt = 1.8 cups Morton's Kosher Salt.

3) These are discussed in part on the brine page I linked you to in answer 1, as well as at the Zen of Salt article.

4, 5) Check out Meathead's marinades article here, this will enlighten you. The short answer- not very far.

Comment

• David Parrish
                  David Parrish commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Awesome comment Husker!

Thanks for the info! I just joined the Pitmaster Club and had not read Meathead's articles yet. I was going to start today! The Salt seminar was chock full of great information.

Comment

You're very welcome. There are soooo may pages of amazing science, mythbusting and recipes and how-tos here it's incredible. Thanks for joining and helping support us by the way.

When you get a minute check out Pit Boss' Welcome & Announcements channel, as well as the tips posts in that channel. These will help you learn your way around The Pit, as well as set up your signature. There's also a post that explains the best way to post nice big pics here... we like to see bragging pictures of your equipment and your cooks. We look forward to hearing more from you! Enjoy!

Comment

Any plans to convert this video to you tube? Having playback issues, like most vimeo videos

Comment

Can you describe the issue? We have no plans to convert to YouTube.

Comment

• Ernest
                        Ernest commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It was a slow hotel network. I finally got it to work.

• David Parrish
                        David Parrish commented
                        Editing a comment
                        OK thanks. Good to know.

Thanks for the great video! I wish I would have seen this before I made all my rubs. They all have salt . For those of us with salt in our rubs, what's the best way to use them? Use them like a dry brine a day or two before smoking (for larger cuts)? Apply a bit more with some oil shortly before cooking to access the fat soluble flavors in the rub? Throw them out and start over omitting the salt?

Comment

Originally posted by Dr ROK View Post
                        Thanks for the great video! I wish I would have seen this before I made all my rubs. They all have salt . For those of us with salt in our rubs, what's the best way to use them? Use them like a dry brine a day or two before smoking (for larger cuts)? Apply a bit more with some oil shortly before cooking to access the fat soluble flavors in the rub? Throw them out and start over omitting the salt?
                        I use mine as the dry brine. An hour or three for ribs, a day or two for butts. No need to toss it out!

Comment

Glad I saw this while I'm still perfecting my own rubs, time to cut out the salt.. Makes a lot of sense. Is there away to view the videos on Vimeo if we have an account on there? I can cast the vids to my TV to watch from my tablet, but if I could do it from the app, it'd be less moving parts to cause issues.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here