Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

VIDEO- Chris Grove of nibblemethis.com on Kamados (runs 1:18:14)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VIDEO- Chris Grove of nibblemethis.com on Kamados (runs 1:18:14)

Click image for larger version

Name:	about me pic.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	118964

Chris Grove runs one of my favorite BBQ blogs NibbleMeThis.com and he is the author of "The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook: Recipes and Techniques for the World's Best Barbecue".

He is a competition cook, a member of the Char-Broil All-Stars, a heckuva cook and photographer. Based in Knoxville, TN, he fell in love with barbecue when he was 7 years old. "I was visiting my grandparent's farm in North Carolina and the adults brought back some BBQ from the local volunteer fire department's annual fundraiser in Lisbon, NC. I didn't know what it was at the time but I remember the tangy vinegary taste of the Carolina BBQ between two pieces of white bread. It was the first time I ever had real BBQ and it is the first time I can ever remember thinking to myself, 'That was the best thing I ever tasted!'"

He now owns numerous cookers, many of the kamados. In this interview we discuss different makes and models, and techniques for steak to pizza, and you do want to hear about his Burnt End Potato Bombs.

Great video, glad to see these running again. Learned a ton that I didn't know, and I really like his idea of using splits as a base for the charcoal bed, I will definitely be testing that out.

Comment

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      I will get caught up now that I have finished shooting videos in my back yard and finished writing my book.

Good video... too bad Chris did not expound on the 'myth' that you cannot reverse sear on the Egg. Clearly it is done all the time.

Comment

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Plus one.

• Meathead
      Meathead commented
      Editing a comment
      We did discuss this!

Chris Grove / Meathead...

When I do a reverse sear on my large BGE I don't bother using my heat deflector - there is no need for it. I use Grill Dome's direct/indirect grate.

I get the dome temp to 250° at which point there are no flames, just smoldering lump. At this point your dome is an oven, not a grill. I mount the grate, legs down, on top of the fire ring, which positions your steaks at the felt line, up and away from the direct heat.

I bake my steaks, lid down, until the IT reaches 115°. I open the dome, remove the steaks, and set them on a plate. I invert the grate in the legs up position so it's 1 to 2 inches from the lump coal. I open the bottom vent wide open and use a hair dryer to feed the burning lump lots of oxygen to get to Warp 10 heat quickly.

I blot my steaks dry with a paper towel and paint on some beef love. I put the steaks back on to sear them. I'm like Meathead I cook to 130° and then pull them.

I've used this technique/method for years and it's the best and easiest way to do the reverse on a BGE that I've found after much trial and error. Removing the heat deflector sucks!

Try it, you will find the heat deflector is unnecessary.😎

Comment

NackedWhiz video of flashback

Comment

• Breadhead
        Breadhead commented
        Editing a comment
        Brilliant! They deserve a BBQ Academy award for that great movie.😎

• BigBear
        BigBear commented
        Editing a comment
        That could definitely fry some eyebrows!!!

Great video. Chris has got me thinking about Kamado accessories.

Comment

I enjoyed this seminar very much. I have learned a lot. Keep them coming!

Comment

Chris's cookbook is available right now as a Kindle edition for $1.99. Digital list price is normally $16.99.

The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook: Recipes and Techniques for the World's Best Barbecue - Kindle edition by Chris Grove. Download it once and read it on your Kindle device, PC, phones or tablets. Use features like bookmarks, note taking and highlighting while reading The Kamado Smoker and Grill Cookbook: Recipes and Techniques for the World's Best Barbecue.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the tip. I had forgotten about Kindle for the iPad. The book is a real bargain for $1.99. I love books on the ipad, since I have my resources for cooking out of town with me without lugging a ton of books.

• Mosca
            Mosca commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm about halfway through the cookbook, and it is truly excellent. I would recommend this for both beginners and experts; beginners will appreciate the chapters on slow smoking, grilling, etc, and experts will appreciate chapters like "Coordinating Cooks" and "Because You Can".

Kamados are wonderful, and versatile, but they have a unique set of workarounds and you might have yours for years and never know about many of them. Get the book, it's only a couple bucks.

• LA Pork Butt
            LA Pork Butt commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll second Mosca

Good video. I'm glad to see these running again. I learned a good bit about kamados. I have a Primo oval.

Comment

I tend to get caught up on these videos after quite a while...thus the timing of this post.

Meathead, you and Chris talked about how he builds a fire in his kamado, and he mentioned using 3 x 12" splits underneath his lump charcoal, and he said he'd provide a picture. I never did see that picture in the video. Did you get the picture, and if so, can you post it?

Comment

Meathead, JCBBQ, Contacted Chris, here's what he sent. Pretty straightforward.

Comment

• Meathead
              Meathead commented
              Editing a comment
              Good work!

Meathead I am getting an error on trying to load the videos. Not just this one but all of them.

Comment

• SoSublime
              SoSublime commented
              Editing a comment
              its now working

Thank you so much Chris.. Awesome video. I have a GMG pellet smoker and am looking for a kamoda grill. Any thoughts on a 45" Acorn Kamado King Griller? Is it worth the money for someone starting out in comps this year?

Comment

This is a great video. Thanks for bumping this up. I like to go back over the lighting procedures, especially with the new KJ. Ceramic heats waaaay different than the steel in my KEG. It has been helpful to go back and check this out. Thanks again.

Comment

I watched the video and bought the book. It was a good decision. See my review in the review section.
              Last edited by LA Pork Butt; February 27, 2017, 03:06 PM.

Comment

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I bought the book on your recommendation. Great for kamado newbies and intermediates, and some good tricks for oldies too!

• LA Pork Butt
                LA Pork Butt commented
                Editing a comment
                EdF I like the fact that he highlights multiple styles of cooks and encourages you to experiment with variations. He covers just about every approach to Kamado cooking. You might enjoy his website nibblemethis.com

• EdF
                EdF commented
                Editing a comment
                I intend to check it out. I agree that the book gives you lots of ideas about the versatility that you mightn't have considered even after using a kamado for 15 years! Thanks for the reco BTW!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here