Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Competition Pork Butt Video with Danielle "Diva Q" Bennett, Courtesy of BBQGuys.com

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Competition Pork Butt Video with Danielle "Diva Q" Bennett, Courtesy of BBQGuys.com

Check out a nice competition pork butt video tutorial courtesy of BBQGuys.com featuring Danielle "Diva Q" Bennett. We've added this to our Tuffy Stone Competition Pork Butt recipe article.

Video on BBQGuys.com: https://www.bbqguys.com/recipes/smok...tion-pork-butt

YouTube:

"3 bone-in pork butts or shoulders (9-11 lbs each)"

"SERVES 5 – 6 staged turn in boxes"

"For starters, we’ll have you trim these pork butts competition-style — expect this to lighten each of your pork butts by about 3–4 pounds. "

27 steps later...

And this is why I will never compete.
    Last edited by rickgregory; August 12, 2021, 05:14 PM.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      When I first got into BBQ, just before discovering AmazingRibs.com, I wanted to compete but the more I watched & researched & read and became a KCBS judge I realized, nah, not the life for me.

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      You said a mouth full--a back yard Bite, not a competition nibble

That's a whole artform on it's own, I much prefer simply eating, just mho

Comment

Very informative video. Personally to me "Competition BBQ" isn't true BBQ. Smoking meat and BBQ is about sharing food and spending time with friends and family. Starting with a protein and taking the time to turn it into a delicious meal to be shared and enjoyed.

Competition BBQ is just creating one bite of over seasoned meat that is designed to stand out against other over seasoned pieces of meat. If you can't enjoy it as a meal it isn't BBQ to me. It is something else.

My wife is into fashion and she watches fashion shows where the competitors design ludicrous over the top preposterous clothes. No one could wear them in real life. No one can eat competition BBQ in real life because it is over done.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        I watch those fashion shows and competitions as well. Since I design and sew many of my clothes, sometimes I take elements of those high fashion garments and incorporate them into some of the clothing I make. I've been sewing my own clothes ever since I went away to college on scholarship which of course didn't cover much-needed new clothes. Necessity, invention, and all that.

K.
        Last edited by fzxdoc; August 13, 2021, 02:50 PM.

• Old Glory
        Old Glory commented
        Editing a comment
        fzxdoc my wife doesn't make her own clothes but says the same thing, people will take ideas from the designs. I just can't get past the crazy useless clothing where you can barely walk and can't bend over...lol. While I used to have to wear a suit and tie at work (pre-COVID), I have t-shirts older than my children that I wear every day. I am definitely not hip to fashion.

This is a fun video. Thanks, Huskee , for sharing it with us.

I'm wondering about that slather for home-smoked PBs. I've never used anything like that, but then I almost never wrap PBs. I wonder if slather-and-wrap makes any difference as compared to offering BBQ sauces on the side with pulled pork like I usually serve it.

But then she apparently smokes at 180° all the way on a pellet grill and pulls the meat at 155° for chunk and money muscle presentations, unlike traditional pulled pork methods that I use at 275°ish, taking the meat up to 195-205°, whenever it probes nicely. It's probably apples and oranges.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; August 13, 2021, 08:56 AM.

Comment

It's nice watching her knife technique.

Comment

Of course it's over the top, it's competition-style cooking. The thing about competition cooking is you learn to have greater control over your process, which is a highly transferable skill when you are cooking for friends and family at home.

Having said that, the only competition I care to do is a KCBS backyard comp that is literally 5 minutes from my house, at the annual BBQ, Blues & Bikes festival each Memorial Day weekend. But I have learned a lot even from doing that.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here