Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Converting a Smoke Hollow to a stick burner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Converting a Smoke Hollow to a stick burner

I have an older Smoke Hollow propane smoker. It needs some replacement burners, etc. I was curious if anyone has converted a smoker like this to a stick burner? Wondering if I can just attach a small firebox to the side and eliminate the propane. I would assume that if I can, it's going to a lower temp smoker (250 max?).

Anyone have any experience?

Those propane smokers are built fairly leaky, in order to provide enough combustion air for the propane burner. You would have to do a lot of sealing up of the bottom of the smoker to make it act like an offset. You also need to consider that these type smokers are made from pretty thin metal, and probably doesn't weigh much. A fire box that is thick enough and big enough to handle a wood fire is going to be hard to attach to a thin sheet metal wall.

If its dead, you don't lose anything by trying, but I also would not spend much time and money on the effort to build a firebox either. If you want a live fire smoker without a lot of expense, look at something like the Oklahoma Joe Bronco to replace your Smoke Hollow smoker. Well built, and much cheaper than a decent offset.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here