Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help setting up my brother's vertical gas smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help setting up my brother's vertical gas smoker

Hey everyone,

My brother is finally setting up the Master Forge vertical gas smoker he got a while ago (this one: https://amazingribs.com/smoker/maste...-smoker-review) and I'm going to help him do the first test run this weekend. I have used gas grills, charcoal smokers, and a wood smoker/stick burner, but I've never used a gas smoker. What are the basics of how it works and what we need to be aware of to make sure he has a good experience and keeps using it?

Thanks in advance

I know nothing about gas (HA!) cookers. I would recommend a pork butt as it is hard to screw up. Good luck! PBC, PBC, pbc…...

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm glad you were clear on 'cookers', because I hear they call you 'Blazing Saddles' around the campfire. ;-)

Wish I could offer some tips, but aside from obvious common sense stuff, which I know you already have of course, I can't help. Never used a gas smoker myself. I'm sure you'll nail it and help him and you'll be the hero!

Comment

Open the tank real slow so if its gots a safety low pressure thingee it won't close things up.

I use chips (single layer) to find the hot area on the wood pan on which to place chunks.

I did a dry run at 300 or so to "clean out" any manufacturing residues.

Comment

Disregard the built-in thermometer. You need an accurate digital thermometer. Check out Thermometer Reviews if you still don't have one.

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Max, I've already recommended that my brother get one. Do the vents work the same way as far as airflow and temperature as on a charcoal grill / smoker?

• Max Good
        Max Good commented
        Editing a comment
        The vents function differently on a gas smoker. Vents on charcoal and wood burning cookers primary function as temperature control. By controlling the amount of oxygen that feeds the fire, you control the temperature. On gas smokers you control temperature with the control knob. The vents mostly affect smoke and humidity. For low and slow where you probably want max smoke and humidity, close the vents down. When cooking chicken where you may want to crisp the skin, crank the temp and open vents.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here