Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Review of the Pit boss 2.2 cu. ft. Vertical LP Gas Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Review of the Pit boss 2.2 cu. ft. Vertical LP Gas Smoker

Max Good , Well I finely got the Pit boss 2.2 cu. ft. Vertical LP Gas Smoker Put together, I must say it is the first grill I have put together that everything fit like it should & no missing parts! The instructions are better than most for the assembly. I did not attach the tank holder as my tank is smaller than the one the holder is made for. All parts fit well & there is a nice gasket around the door, the door latch is also adjustable so you can get a good seal. the burner system is rather unique, as seen in the photo. I have to put something up to block the wind as we almost always have 15 to 25 MPH winds where I am, but I need to do this with other smokers as well. There is one minor discrepancy, they provide an S hook on the regulator to hang it on the back handle but the hose is not long enough to reach, but an easy fix. The temp control is very stable & easy to set where you want it, using the vents & gas flow. No smoke leaking around the door. The thermometer in the door is pretty close to my reading on the smoke if they are close to same same height, After cooking the chops, I like this better than my smoke vault. much easier to set & control the temperature. (I suffer A severe case of MCS, when I saw this & had to have it) This write up could have been longer but I'm a graduate of Tommy two fingers school of typing, And this has taken a long time to write as it is.

Looking at the wood chip box when installed. The water pan goes in odd shaped frame above the chip box.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1066.JPG Views:	1 Size:	3.78 MB ID:	489096

The unique burner system
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1067.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	489097

Just a look at the inside
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1068.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.61 MB ID:	489098

Another look at the inside
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1069.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.28 MB ID:	489099

Looking at the inside of the door showing the door gasket
    Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1070.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.08 MB ID:	489100

Smoker closed Cook in progress

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1073.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.29 MB ID:	489101

Thick pork chops & some country stile ribs for first cook just what I had on hand. Pork chops were cooked to 130°F then seared in the C I skillet till done about 145°F. then fixed some stir fry in the skillet with the juice from the pork chops.
    The ribs are still cooking

Click image for larger version  Name:	DSCF1078.JPG Views:	1 Size:	1.90 MB ID:	489102

It is available From Walmart for $149.00 but is listed with wood burning burning fire pits & not with the other grills. Home Depot has it for $151.00 & listed where it should be. On Amazon it was $183.00 when I got this one

Congrats on the new toy.

Comment

The ribs finally got done, boneless country stile
      Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1079.JPG
Views:	986
Size:	302.6 KB
ID:	489359

Comment

• SmokingSteve
        SmokingSteve commented
        Editing a comment
        how long have you had the MPS 340G Thermo-temp? I m trying to decide between it and the Smoke Vault. I am leaning toward the MPS 340G. Have you discovered any issues with yours? Would really appreciate any feedback!

Lookin' Good!

Comment

This is a good review, thanks for the time to compose. I am about to hit the button on the Pit Boss 77435 on Amazon and your input is very timely. Is this the 77425 or do you have the part number of the unit you bougtht? How does it smoke on the lower temp setting? I see this was posted some time ago, so any advise you can offer from the experience you now have would be appreciated.

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          grillsergeant, MCS has hit again I now have also the ThermoTemp that is pictured to the right on this page it is much easier to use & temp is more stable. I have the smaler of the pit boss units & it was much cheaper on line at walmart.

Read your article again and bought one yesterday. Should be interesting. I stuff my own brats and summer sausage and this should work well.

Comment

@mokingSteve, No real issues with the MPS 340G Thermo-temp, if you place your grill temp probe next to their sensor & use it to set the temp & not depend on the temp marks on the valve it works very well.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
            SmokingSteve commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I will pull the trigger and succumb to MCS when I get back from vacation middle of July.

Has anyone had trouble with the Pit Boss wood chip tray getting stuck after it gets hot? I'm having a real problem in that the try is fine till it gets hot, then expands and is very difficult to remove to replenish chips

Comment

• Darchie03
            Darchie03 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes mine gets a little hard to remove but will come out with a little force & is easy to put back in when refilled.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here