Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp drop after the stall with my gas smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jerod Broussard
    replied
    I have no problem holding it steady, however, if you are running 225, 250 is not a bad jump. Still technically low and slow. It's nothing for a big chunk of meat to drop in temp when it stalls. And there can be more than one. There are also mini-stalls within the stall(s) resulting from collagen and what not break down.

Leave a comment:

• _Keith
    replied
    I would say that you should not freak out and raise the temp, as that will dry things out. If you're in a hurry, crutch the hunk of meat by wrapping it in foil. Details here:
    Here's a useful technique for tenderizing, moisturizing, and speeding cooking by wrapping meat in aluminum foil for an hour or two. The Texas crutch beats the stall, in which meat stops cooking during barbecuing, sometimes for hours. This simple trick works for brisket, pork shoulder and ribs on any smoker or grill.

Or just be patient. Personally, I crutch the meat because I'm not in a doctor's office.

Leave a comment:

• DeusDingo
    started a topic Temp drop after the stall with my gas smoker

Temp drop after the stall with my gas smoker

Hi,

I have a masterbuilt vertical smoker with 2 doors. i am VERY new to smoking but i have been trying my best to memorize every detail of this website. i got one of those maverick 2 probe thermostats so i am pretty sure my temps are accurate.

i get to the stall with my large pork blob and i don't freak out because i read the website. the meat sits at around 160ish for hours. i get that. my problem is when the meat hits around 172 that freaks me out. the temperature actually starts to DROP! i see my smoker temperature hasn't changed. i haven't opened any doors. i didn't run out of gas, but i start to see 172...10 minutes later...171 what? ... 10 minutes later 170. Yikes! i freak out and bump the temp up to ~250 and the temp starts to rise without issue. why does the temp drop? should i not freak out and raise the temp?

-Mike

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here