Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Temp drop after the stall with my gas smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temp drop after the stall with my gas smoker

Hi,

I have a masterbuilt vertical smoker with 2 doors. i am VERY new to smoking but i have been trying my best to memorize every detail of this website. i got one of those maverick 2 probe thermostats so i am pretty sure my temps are accurate.

i get to the stall with my large pork blob and i don't freak out because i read the website. the meat sits at around 160ish for hours. i get that. my problem is when the meat hits around 172 that freaks me out. the temperature actually starts to DROP! i see my smoker temperature hasn't changed. i haven't opened any doors. i didn't run out of gas, but i start to see 172...10 minutes later...171 what? ... 10 minutes later 170. Yikes! i freak out and bump the temp up to ~250 and the temp starts to rise without issue. why does the temp drop? should i not freak out and raise the temp?

-Mike

I would say that you should not freak out and raise the temp, as that will dry things out. If you're in a hurry, crutch the hunk of meat by wrapping it in foil. Details here:

Or just be patient. Personally, I crutch the meat because I'm not in a doctor's office.

Comment

I have no problem holding it steady, however, if you are running 225, 250 is not a bad jump. Still technically low and slow. It's nothing for a big chunk of meat to drop in temp when it stalls. And there can be more than one. There are also mini-stalls within the stall(s) resulting from collagen and what not break down.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here