Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt 340G XL discontinued and alternatives

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterbuilt 340G XL discontinued and alternatives

I've been trying to acquire a Masterbuilt 340G XL in Ontario and the dealer I purchased it from says that they heard from Masterbuilt that they were discontinuing it. The dealer is trying to track down some units to fulfill my order.

However if they aren't able to get it, does anyone know of another propane smoker with a digital thermostat like this one? Or is there a good retrofit kit and recommended smoker to retrofit with the digital thermostat? I'm interested in a propane one because of the the ease of use and common fuel source with my grill.

I'm currently smoking on my old Sterling gas grill and the Thermotemp really appealed to me for a few reasons:
    More cooking space
    Ease of use(the digital thermostat)
    Smaller footprint (vertical cabinet
    Common fuel supply(though not as important)

I started to look at Traegers, but they aren't vertical and they are significantly more expensive than the Thermotemp, unfortunately.

Thanks!

Last edited by Bosc; September 1, 2020, 10:51 AM.

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help with a gasser. Someone will be along shortly to help.

Comment

That's very disappointing, if true. It still shows up on their site, but it's "Sold Out." They still have the smaller, 39 inch one available. Maybe they are going all in on the Gravity Series. I love my 340G XL.

Comment

They're still being sold in the USA.

Comment

Originally posted by Dewesq55 View Post
          That's very disappointing, if true. It still shows up on their site, but it's "Sold Out." They still have the smaller, 39 inch one available. Maybe they are going all in on the Gravity Series. I love my 340G XL.
          I'm considering the smaller one but I'm a little concerned about the cooking space difference. BBQ guys says 965 sq inches vs. 719. That might not be a deal-breaker...

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            I had a smaller propane cabinet for nearly 20 years and it was more than adequate, especially after I figured out how to hang ribs in it. I have modded my 340G XL to be able to hang ribs in it as well.

Just found out the dealer did manage to get a couple of units so it'll be here in a couple of weeks!

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            That's great! I think you'll love it. Just make sure that the flame sensor tube is tightened down tight with a wrench when you put it together. If it's only finger tightened, the burner won't stay lit when you let go of the knob. A lot of people thought their units were defective because of this, but they were just assembled incorrectly. There is an assembly video on YouTube. I suggest you watch it before assembly.

My XL is a lemon and they stopped providing customer service. I've steered a couple of people away from their products.

Comment

• Max Good
            Max Good commented
            Editing a comment
            What happened?

Dewesq55 Thanks! I came across that issue reading threads on here about the unit, so hopefully it'll be fine and I won't get a lemon as Bkhuna unfortunately did.

Comment

@ max good - I posted quit a bit about this smoker but in a nut shell, the thermostat didn't work. If I set the temperature knob it's lowest setting, the unit ran at over 250. If I throttled the flame down to just barely lit, I could get it to hold around 220 but the flame was so small that it would go out at times.

I had to add needle valve in line to have any temperature control.

After a couple of phone calls to trouble shoot, they stopped taking my calls. They never responded to online customer service requests.

Comment

Got it on Saturday, put it together and made sure to tighten the flame sensor tube. Working nicely. Tested the dial at 225, at first the temperature reached about 280 at the top grill and then levelled out to about 234. Fantastic! Then i ran it hot for over an hour.

Did anyone season the grates and doors with oil like the instructions recommend?

Are you all running the temp probes through the air damper? If not, where do you run them?

Lastly, are there any spare parts that I should try to order ahead of time just in case they are discontinuing the model and parts will be harder to come by?

Thanks!

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                I seasoned the interior with cooking spray. I run my thermometer probes through the exhaust damper on the upper back of the box. I don't know anything about spare parts. I installed self stick gasket around both doors and sealed around the window with high temp RTV silicone. I modified the interior side walls so I can hang ribs in it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here