Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt Thermo Temp XL propane smoker burner going out?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterbuilt Thermo Temp XL propane smoker burner going out?

I have a smoke hollow vertical right now and am thinking of going to another smoker that has better temp control and a single burner. I have seen a fair amount of reviews (many somewhat dated) that indicate these smokers have issues with the burner going out during the smoking process.

Can anyone give me the skinny on this? Is it operator error or is it a real problem that continues to exist today? Is it preventable some way or is there a work around?

Seems like after this system the next step in control is a pellet smoke and I am not sure I am ready to go there.
    Many Thanks!

Mike99, 2 things to consider.
    1. I believe many of the posts regarding it going out were directly attributable to assembly error or operator error. Biggest culprit was not staying lit when you take your hand off the thermostat at light-up. The instructions tell us to keep the thermostat depressed for at least 5 seconds before releasing. As long as it was assembled properly, it will work fine if you follow that instruction.
    2. The assembly bug is a result of not properly tightening the line that tests the back pressure for indications of a gas leak. It has a safety switch that will turn off the flow of gas. Do not simply hand tighten the nut at the valve, make sure to use a wrench to snug it tight. I know from personal experience. When i bought mine I paid to have Home Depot assemble it. They did not snug it up enough and I had to do it myself. As soon as I did, it took care of the issue. I have had it since the end of July last year, using it 3 or 4 times a month. I only had it shut itself off once, during high winds. (Actually it got blown out and the safety valve worked as promised).

Feel free to purchase with high confidence. Message me anytime if you have questions after getting it. You can see me standing by mine in my avatar pic.
    Last edited by SmokingSteve; June 7, 2020, 02:05 AM.

Comment

• Mike99
      Mike99 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Steve! I will move forward with the purchase!

Plus 1 SmokingSteve. I've had mine for a year now and never had those problems, although I assembled mine myself. I keep the temp dial depressed for 10 seconds whenever I light the burner. If you buy one be sure and get the cover for it. I also painted the top with hi-temp black paint as soon as I got it to keep it to prevent scratch marks. I suggest you read Max Good's review and all the comments from satisfied owners for additional information.

Comment

I've only had mine for about 3 months, but I I've used it 2-4 times a week for those 3 months. The only time I had the burner go out during a cook, it was a particularly windy day

Comment

Suggest a pellet grill, a Traeger

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here