Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Masterbuilt MPS 340G Thermostat cover?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Masterbuilt MPS 340G Thermostat cover?

I've had a Masterbuilt MPS 340G for almost a year, and once I got the flame sensor adjusted to where it stays on I have been quite happy with it. I do have one BIG problem. When I am checking / basting the meats, I often drip fat on the thermostat knob and I have found at next check that my smoker is turned off. It turns out my dogs are licking the knob and happen to also be turning it when they do this. Has anyone come up with a cover for their thermostat knob? I have seen some online for oven knobs, but they are way to small for this knob which is almost 4" in diameter. Thanks
    Attached Files

I don't know about a commercial cover, but you could drape a cloth or paper towel over it each time you open the door.

Comment

• Sturdydog
      Sturdydog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll just have to remember to throw it away before they eat that too.

I'd just fashion a hunk of foil to put on/around it, or a shoebox pushed up against it as a shroud, or towel like Ron says. Maybe even vicegrips to clamp on it and rest against the ground or something to prevent it from spinning.

Comment

• Sturdydog
      Sturdydog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'll have to check how hot the metal behind the knob gets.

Jus an idea, lookin at yer pic: not sure of scale of size, since I'm not familiar with that cooker...also very unsure jus how hot that area where th knob is...

That bein said, it "looks" to me like ya might could buy yerself one them covers to prevent folks from tamperin with thermostats; we have em all over at work, clear plastic thingies...

If that'd fit, git ya some small neodymium magnets (dirt cheap offa ePay, harbor freight, etc.) , glue em to th mountin frame, an there ya'd be.

Hope mebbe this might help, good luck!

Comment

• Sturdydog
      Sturdydog commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I briefly looked at some wall thermostat covers online, but they were quite pricey. Maybe I can find some cheap one and the magnets sound like a good idea.

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Sturdydog
      Magnets seemed like a non-destructive way to mount it, I'm purty opposed to jus blowin holes in my cookers, to make things convenient fer me.

How big of an area would it take to cover th knob, cause even when I posted, had some other ideas, just thought th stat cover might be easiest/cheapest.
      Ain't outta ammo, yet; not even runnin low, amigo!

I have had my Thermotemp XL MPS 340G for almost a year now.
    You could take a small aluminum disposable bowl, take Mr. Bones magnets and use the bowl to cover the thermostat.

On the other hand you could get a small disposable shallow aluminum grease pan and use the magnet to hold it, letting it catch any drippings to keep them from hitting the thermostat dial.

But that still lets the dogs have something to lick and /or dump over.

Personally, I slide out the lower rack holding the large aluminum catch pan, (not the water pan), before I slide out the rack holding the meat in order to rearrange the meat or check things. It's just easier for me to do it that way. I have never had a problem with my dogs licking the thermostat knob/dial because the grease/juices are caught by the pan I slide out below. I have only used all 4 racks at once a couple of times.
    Last edited by SmokingSteve; April 13, 2020, 10:50 PM. Reason: added "Not the water pan"

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here