Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire where it shouldn't be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fire where it shouldn't be?

I've got a Masterbuilt MDS 230S Dual Fuel smoker from Home Depot, which I've used exclusively with propane. Seeing something a bit odd when I shoot for higher temps - ie, anything over a typical 225-250 during my last couple smokes.

I've seen fire underneath the smoker coming down through the gap where the propane tube enters the burner.

Last night, I had to step back and stay behind the door when I opened it because a fireball would escape from the top chamber when I was temperature checking and/or removing meat.

Seems like something isn't burning where it's supposed to. I'm guessing my first stop is going to be removing and checking the burner and intake line for any blockages, but since I've got a few days until I'll be able to get to that, I wanted to throw this out and see if there was anything else I should be considering so I can get this resolved as quickly as possible.

Not like there are dozens of moving parts on this thing, but I figure there's always something I don't know.

Thanks!

-Brent

Take a picture. Post it here and send it to Masterbuilt. Something sure sounds wrong to me, I wouldn't mess around with that situation.

Comment

Be very careful until you get an answer from Masterbuilt. BBQ fat is flammable and can get out of hand fast.

Comment

It sounds lie the burner is not seated on the tube. Be very careful. I agree that you should proceed with caution until you find out what is wrong.

Comment

Take it back. It's not worth the risk - PLEASE!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            I agree, disconnect the propane and don't use it until someone qualified says it's fixed. If you're hiding behind a door and getting fire balls you're risking serious injury. No one can say it won't do something much worse the next time you use it.

Just in case you decide not to heed any of the advice given here, be sure to take pics of the impending explosion and or ensuing fire. Everybody likes watching a disaster. 🕶

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here