Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

masterbuilt thermotemp gas smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

masterbuilt thermotemp gas smoker

I saw this smoker has a gold award in the review, I don't really need another smoker but think it might be nice to have something closer to set and forget for overnight cooks and days I am lazy,(I use wsm now) just curious if anyone has used one of these or has any thoughts on them,

Will be interested to hear your reviews!

Comment

I purchased the 340G Thermo Temp XL two weeks ago. The dial settings are way off. I used a ThermoWorks Smoke to monitor the cooker temp. and internal meat temp. I used a second ThermoWorks Chef Alarm to confirm the first. The Chef alarm has been verified against a NASA cal. lab. NIST traceable source (I work with the guys at the cal. lab.).

I started a 225°F smoke and had to turn it almost all the way off to keep the heat constant. Ambient temp was 76°F and no wind. It held within a few degrees for about 6 hours, then it cooker temp. started to climb. Water pan was still 2/3 full. The ambient temp. was 84°F with a slight breeze. The smoker was inside a screen covered patio so I don't think the wind was a factor.

I had to tinker with the temp. dial avery 20 minutes or so to keep the temp down in the 225°F range.

After 8 hours the inside of the butt was climbing out of the stall and as it approached 175°F internal I wrapped the butt and let the smoker go to see what would happen. The smoker stabilized at 280°F ±7°F with the control dial set at 225.

I'm hoping that the valve units just needed a good long hot cook for everything to get "broken in" but the pragmatic side of my brain says that I'm just wishing. I'm gonna' contact Masterbuilt today as well as flip it over, check the sensor wires, etc.

By the way, the butt, using pecan chunks, a 24 hour salt dry brine, and a precook Memphis Dust rub was wonderful. Finished with Lexington Dip and Eastern Carolina bruised green slaw. My wife said it was about the best I've done. I've never made a butt that was as moist and tender. The amount of drippings was negligible. The dry brine did the trick of retaining moisture.

Ample quantities of Buffalo Trace were enjoyed by all.
      Last edited by Bkhuna; April 29, 2019, 03:42 AM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here