Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chicken skin not crisping up

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did 2 birds on the WSM, seasoned with What the Cluck rub that Grilla makes. Turned out awesome. The skin was blackened (not charred), crispy and fantastic. I removed the water pan and bottom rack and cooked it on high temp with all 3 vents open 100%. I tossed in 1 large chunk of cherry wood. Cooked in about 45 minutes. I ended up then doing the kids hot dogs on it.

The other bird I did on my pellet smoker. 375 for 1 hr or so. My wife seasoned that with some random seasonings and butter. She wanted a non BBQ option. I didn't get any of that as it was gone by the time I ate but everyone raved about it.

Comment

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      How did the skin turn out on the pellet cooker?

Try adding baking powder

Comment

The WSM method- yes all three vents open 100%. Water pan and the bottom rack were on the grass in the yard. I filled the chimney with Kingsford charcoal I picked up from Costco and lite. Once it was going I dumped it in the WSM and the ripped it off with a half chimney of unlit pieces of charcoal. After a few minutes I tossed in a large chunk of wood. I put the chickens on the WSM skin side down for 30-40 minutes then flipped them for maybe 10 minutes. Skin was charred but not blackened.

The pellet smoked chicken was a success. My wife who’s never too shy to give her opinion said the skin was perfect. It was all gone before I ate and there were no leftovers of that. The WSM method was so easy that I light just go that route in the future. Quick and simple.

Comment

Thank you all! Yeah, I found it interesting that we used baking powder on chicken wings. Right out of the smoker (MasterBuilt 340G) the skin was rubbery but finished off nicely in a 400 degree oven. Nice and crispy! The 2nd experiment was wet brined spatchcocked chicken. No baking powder this time and nothing would crisp the skin. I'm definitely going to try the recommendations here to see if I can get it dialed in. Will keep you all in the loop!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here