Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to cook a better Brisket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to cook a better Brisket

Guys,
    I've cooked several briskets on my Smoke Vault 24 and the underside always has to much direct heat on it, especially the flat resulting in it being over cooked. I've tried putting wire rack right below and covering half with foil (the side under the flat) to deflect the heat which resulted in minimal improvement. Due to this, I started only cooking points awhile back since the effects are not as noticable but you can still tell the underside is more cooked than the top.

Specs: 225-250, water pan, cooking to an internal of 195-203.

Because of this, I've been considering getting an offset so the heat actually moves horizontal over the meat. Before I do this, I want to exhaust all resources first and make sure I'm using my equipment as best as possible.

Thanks for any tips.

Don

Leave a thicker fat cap on the flat, 1/4” or so, and cook fat side down.

Comment

You could also flip it part way through the cook.

Comment

Have you tried flipping the meat midpoint in the cook? I do that on my Smoke Vault. I also put a drip pan which blocked most of the lower grate beneath the meat instead of foil. You probably do too so I’m just throwing this out, I am religious about keeping the water pan filled. I bought a metal garden watering bucket with spout to easily keep the water level high. Good luck.

Comment

Flippin, water pan were also th first things that crossed my mind.

What are ya usin to determine cooker temp?

Might be that a digital thermo could be yer best friend here, if ya been previous usin th lil bimetal doohickey thing mounted there to th door.

There are many affordable options in thermos available.

Jus a thought...

Comment

I always make sure to leave a thick fat cap on flats, I go 1/2" or even more in spots. In other words, I try not to trim much on flats, except squaring up the ends and sides. I appreciate that soft moist fat strip on the slices, and the thicker the better once it's on the plate. Then I will place the fat cap toward the direction of the most heat as a buffer. If the top is hotter than the lower side because it collects up top, then fat cap up; if the bottom side is hotter because the heat's coming from there, fat cap down. Flats need all the help they can get IMO.

Comment

Thick fat cap on flat, full water pan. I cook brisket all the time on my smoke vault just fine. Probably my most used pit since I have it dialed in so well and there is almost no fuss. No flipping, no foil deflectors. Keep it at 225° and the above mentioned method.
              Attached Files

Comment

• Ahumadora
                Ahumadora commented
                Editing a comment
                Is that after you Sous vide the brisket?

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                Ahumadora .....

Fire bricks or some splits of wood under the brisket then sit it on a baking rack to get some smoke onto the underside

Comment

You need a heat sink between the heat source and the meat. Water pan, fire bricks, pan of sand, something like that.

Comment

I’ve had my smoke vault for several years and it cooks a pretty good brisket. Like others have said, leave a thick fat cap and make sure it’s placed down. Also never ever let the water pan go dry. I use a big foil pan inside their pan so clean up is easier.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here