Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Convince me I need a Smoke Vault 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve had a SV24 for about 6 years and I really like it. Yes, there’s a learning curve with the temp knob, and as others have said, it’s MM adjustments. But, once you figure it out you can keep it pretty dialed in. I cook between 225-250 (except for chicken-325) and I can keep it pretty close to either end of that range. I put a marker on the knob for those 2 ranges and it helps dial them in quicker.

i don’t use the water pan that came with it. I use an old grate that came with my previous Masterbuilt electric smoker (didn’t like it all all) and attached it to the rails that hold the original water pan. I put a half sheet foil pan (Sams has a 36pk for $8) on it. Holds more water than the original, catches more drippings and I just toss when done. Saves cleaning.

I only have 2 racks and usually just use 1 on the 2nd set of rails just above the water pan. Occasionally a 2nd rack if I smoke 2 briskets or lots of ribs. I’m just cooking for 2 but I cook like it’s for 4 or 5 because we like lots of extra

I also use a combo of chips & chunks for early and longer lasting smoke.

Now if you want more smokiness, here’s my tip that works well for me. I keep both side bottom vents open no more than 1/8” to 1/4” at most at the outside edge (the inside edge will be less). The top vent is where I drop my Maverick probes in and it’s rarely open more than the width of the cables. Be forewarned! They’ll be smoke pouring out all around the door and every other orifice. Your neighbors will be calling the FD . But it will sure put the smoke on your meats on all sides! If I were to post a pic like texastweeter, you’d have to peer through the smoke to even see the SV LOL. Everything I’ve smoked has been great.

I also have a Holland grill and a PK Original that both do their thing really well but that’s another story.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here