Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24

Great sausage smoker. Rock solid temps. I'm not sure if extra vents up top would alleviate the higher temps to any significant degree. Plus, if I hang brisket points using PBC hooks, the higher temps up top wouldn't be that bad. They'd be cooking the thicker part.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190413_141307.jpg Views:	1 Size:	131.2 KB ID:	663907Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_20190413_141716.jpg Views:	1 Size:	120.8 KB ID:	663908

Fantastic. Love sausage cooked in our Smoke Vault.

Comment

I haven’t "dangled" anything in my Smoke Vault yet. Now I’m thinking I gotta smoke me some sausage also.

Nice call Jerod.

Comment

Now that looks like something I'd eat all day.
        What sausage is it?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          Pork. We both went deerless so no venison to mix in. Pork is all good all day anyways. Salt, Prague #1 and Red Pepper.

I haven't used my Smoke Vault since last summer, as I was having a hell of a time keeping the chips lit and producing smoke when the temperature was under 300. Anyone have any advice or thoughts?

Comment

• wssrstrm
          wssrstrm commented
          Editing a comment
          I didn't try chunks as per the instructions that came with the unit, but I'll give that a shot this weekend.

• snowswamp
          snowswamp commented
          Editing a comment
          In my SV24 I use a few chunks for long smoke and a handful of chips for quick start smoke. I bent the metal tabs on the bottom vents so I can close them fully if I want and leave the top full open. I also put heat lava tape on the door to help seal it. It’s worked well for me but don’t go bending things unless you’re absolutely sure. 😀

• wssrstrm
          wssrstrm commented
          Editing a comment
          Tried wood chunks last night and it worked no problem! Thanks for the tip. I burned them on high with the door open until they were good and lit, then closed the door and turned it down to MED, and they kept smoking for two hours without any issue. They also burned down to nice embers that would def light any new chunks thrown in. So I'm pretty stoked about it. This weekend I'm going to do a brisket and a lamb leg *at the same time*

Nice color on those sausages .. making me hungry

Comment

I have had the same problem with my 18" Smoke Vault. Chips and/or chunks do not smoke well when the temps were under that 300 F mark, give or take. It has been real annoying.

Up to this last cook on Saturday, I had been using the water pan for every cook. This pan is located right above the chip tray. In the 18" Vault, the water tray is close enough that a large-ish chunk of wood (maybe 3" tall) doesn't fit on the chip tray. (I'm not sure if the configuration in the 24" Vault is the same.)

I now wonder if the cooling from the water pan has been the problem. I'm not entirely sure this is true, so I'm not trying to say I know this to be a sure thing -- just musing.

This past Saturday, I didn't use the water pan at all. I let the meat drippings fall directly on the chip tray for the first few hours to give a thin trace of smoke and it was clear the tray was hot enough to carbonize all the drippings. I also laid a few sticks of applewood on the tray, and they eventually smoldered nicely as well. I was smoking ribs at about 275 F.

Comment

Sometimes there is a vent on the bottom of the burner on the propane line going into the the burner that allows more air/ higher flame.. check and make sure that is wide open!!

Comment

My SV24 produces hearty smoke with chunks down to about 225 F. Below that, it gets a little iffy.

Comment

That's another thing that's important, now that you folks are mentioning it -- preheating the Vault at a high enough temp to get the wood burning first and only then reducing the temp to the desired cook temp.

I think I've been too hasty to set the temp at 225 F or whatever temp I'm wanting to cook at and not making enough effort to get the wood burning properly.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here