Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Controlling smoke on Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling smoke on Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24'

Hey, new member and first-time poster. I have a Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24' smoker that I've been fiddling with for a few weeks. I've found it very easy to hold temp, even when facing Boston winter temperatures, but I'm struggling to keep a consistent rate of smoke. Looking for suggestions as to how to properly utilize the side and top vents. Seems like when I have all three (two side, one top) open, I get massive smoke but the wood chips/chunks incinerate within 15 minutes; when I close them up a bit, I have a hard time keeping the chips/chunks lit. Any suggestions?

Welcome from Maryland. It appears you have already conquered the first challenge of the 24 which is keeping steady temperatures. While you don’t need to produce smoke during the entire cook to get great smoke flavor, and you seem to have the vent settings for steady temps, I can only suggest larger chunks. Mine are usually half fist size. I would also try stacking them so that as the lower ones burn the upper ones drop down and continue the burning process. Good luck. You can produce some great food on the 24.

Comment

• Montana
      Montana commented
      Editing a comment
      Will give this a try!

Welcome to The Pit. Sorry, but I can't help.

Comment

No help, but welcome from TN

Comment

I have found that the position of the vents has nothing to do with the smoke generation on a SV. I would direct you towards either moving the chunks around in the pan or flipping them over whenever you think the smoke has stalled. Even just slightly pushing the pan back further into the smoker (or closer to the front) will move the hot spot to create more smoke.

Comment

• Montana
          Montana commented
          Editing a comment
          This is really helpful! I've definitely noticed some hot spots

I use a mix of chucks and chips. The chips start fast for quick smoke and the chunks start up later and go longer, usually about 40 min. As DonW mentioned, you don’t need all smoke all the time; just at the start to add the flavor. I bent the tabs on the bottom vents so I could close them fully and leave the top wide open. I also used lava tape to help seal the door. Smoke escapes, but it doesn’t pour out and is drawn up through the cook chamber. Good luck! I love my Smoke Vault.
        Last edited by snowswamp; January 30, 2019, 02:34 PM.

Comment

I have a 24 vault. I dont use chips but i used about fist sized chunks and i let them get up and going before the food. Agree to other posters here that the vents seem to be much more important for temp control. Usually add 3 or 4 chunks, let them settle down, then get steady good smoke for 2-3 hours...typically more than enough for good flavor.

Comment

I use chunks, chips, pellets, and dust for different applications. For 90% of cooks, it is fist sized chunks. The smaller the wood size the more I open the side vents. Sawdust, and they are all the way shut, chunks, and they are all the way open. Top vent is wide open all the time.

Comment

Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions. I will play around with wood size and position on the chip tray

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here