Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Cooker, Same Problems. Any ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As others have said, 10 hours on a chuckie of reasonable size is about what I would expect it to take. It is a solid chunk of meat, with slow heat transfer and enough surface to stall for a loooong time. I pretty much always wrap at 160 with some liquid, because I have other things to do on the weekend.

Comment

Any chuck I have smoked for slicing (stop around 180) or pulling (go to 203 or so) I always wrap in foil at 160 or so, to avoid drying it out, and they've always come out great. Sliced chuck at 180 is in fact going to seem drier than if you take it to 200+ for pulling, as the fat does not all render.

Comment

As already stated, try your ambient probe on the same shelf as the meat. I find the bottom of my smoker is quite a bit cooler than the top, so you may have been at a higher temperature, hence the dryer meat.

Comment

Why not try a sodium-free beef stock injection? Better yet, get some butcher beef bones and make your own injection, then cook as the majority suggests. Get to the stall, set on the wrap, add some Irish butter wedges, wrap up, return to cooker to bring it up to slicing temp.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here