Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camp Chef Smoke Vault and smoke rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Camp Chef Smoke Vault and smoke rings

Im posting this mostly as a curiosity. Ive done probably around 50 cooks in my vault since i got it and pretty much never had a smoke ring. When i smoke on my kettle with the SnS the smoke ring is always present and prominent. Now i dont really care, its a visual thing vs flavor, which is much more important but like i said, im super curious.

Other smoke vault users notice this?

I’ve only done three cooks (pork butt and baby back ribs) and have gotten smoke rings. I’m going to do chicken this weekend and I’ll let you know if I’m lying.

Comment

Use chunks, not chips.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        I am indeed using chunks from fruitawood.com

Smoke does not equal a smoke ring and different cookers produce different levels of the ring....

the free site site has a couple articles on this.

here is one https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...moke-necessary

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Nate duh! I read that article a long while back and had forgotten about it. Thanks for bringing it back to my attention.

I still find it interesting that i never get one though.

I’ve had my smoke vault for several years and always get a smoke ring. I use larger pieces of wood...say 2-3” by 1” + thick. Make sure and check your temps at each grate, they can be all over the place.

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting. Will do

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        Dadof3Illinois currently doing a rib cook. The top shelf is about 3 degrees higher than than just below middle so not much variation at all i would say.

I get rings with chunks, chips, and pellets all the same.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        top wide open, sides closed grantgallagher

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        My vent settings have very little to no effect at all. Yours may be different, I can’t even tell you the last time I messed with them.

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        texastweeter thats interesting. i have my sides decently open. ill try closing them on the ribs im cooking today

Using the water pan?

Comment

I used chunks and water in mine and always had smoke rings, some better than others, but can you taste smoke? I can't taste color...

Comment

• grantgallagher
        grantgallagher commented
        Editing a comment
        choffert yeah like i said, this is a pure curiosity pursuit. I can taste the smoke and the flavor is great its just not got that visual ring.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here