Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Vault Natural Gas Converstion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Vault Natural Gas Converstion

My Smoke Vault I got online from Home Depot came yesterday. The big reason, besides the price, was that I could convert it to NG. I already have a Weber plumbed for NG and I figured with the reviews I've seen the SV24 would be a great, affordable way to break into dedicated smoking. I also got the NG conversion "kit" which is just a 10 ft gas line with a quick connect. I contacted Camp Chef and they told me that the 2 psi regulator on the grill will work with the SV24 and to drill out the brass fitting with a #51 drill bit. It was easy. The brass cut smooth and quick; no cutting oil needed. Here's some pictures on what I did. Make sure to contact Camp Chef and check out their instructions online if you also plan to give this a try.

The unboxing. Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Unboxing.JPG Views:	1 Size:	301.3 KB ID:	494154

I had to remove the regulator to get to the brass fitting. There are three screws with nuts and lock washers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regulator1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	245.0 KB ID:	494155

I drilled out this hole with the #51 drill bit and then reconnect the valve assembly.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Regulator2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	65.2 KB ID:	494156

I read other places that recommended a #52, but Camp Chef verified to use a #51.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Drill.JPG Views:	1 Size:	269.0 KB ID:	494157

And because I can't leave well enough alone, I used LavaLock tape to tighten up the door seal based on other's reviews.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DoorSeal1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	351.1 KB ID:	494158

I was worried that the tape would make the door hard to open and close, but it was fine.

Click image for larger version  Name:	DoorSeal2.JPG Views:	1 Size:	299.9 KB ID:	494159

I put my existing 2 psi regulator at the gas valve to regulate both the grill and the cooker. I put in a T and the included quick connects. I used the yellow NG rated teflon tape and gave the black pipe a quick spray with rust prevention paint to help protect it. Bubble tested; no leaks!

Click image for larger version  Name:	GasLine.JPG Views:	1 Size:	680.3 KB ID:	494160

I used the plastic footers that were in the package and a scrap treated piece of plywood to help level it out and protect the feet. I drilled 1/4-inch holes in the footers to allow for any water to drain. I also got a cover. I am VERY excited to smoke the pork shoulders from Costco this weekend! I still need to season it to break it in and do some testing with the thermometer to learn some of its quirks before that since it's a new toy.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Final.JPG Views:	1 Size:	634.7 KB ID:	494161
    Last edited by snowswamp; May 3, 2018, 09:07 PM.

Sweet Cooker, amigo! Cain't wait to see alla th Goodness yer gonna show us!

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Nice work!

Comment

Great write up. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here