Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoker can't get to 275 in windy conditions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker can't get to 275 in windy conditions?

A couple of weeks ago I followed Aaron Frankin's method for a rack of spareribs at 275F, and I was very pleased at the results. Today on the west coast its very windy. My CampChef gasser is on the front porch, semi-protected but it still does get some of the wind so after I realized I cant seem to get past 250F after an hour I have blocked some of the vents but its only now starting to climb slowly up. It is not the water pan or cold meat - it just seems that there is enough air getting to the jets I think that they're not firing 100% hence the lack of BTUs...

Would installing door seals make a big difference in cases like this? The temp here is about 50F outside. I am going to let this go for another hour to at least get the smoking completed, then its off to my convection oven lol - unless I hear about some amazing solution from the fine folks here

Cheers and thanks,

Dan H.

I've smoked spares from 225 to 350. Never unpleased.

Comment

I had a similar problem with my campchef, but it had to do with the regulator reducing gas flow. i now only crack my tank valve a turn or two to prevent the high flow preventer from coming on. Not saying this is what is happening but it could be. The other thing to try is to point the rear of the smoker towards the wind direction.

Comment

Gassers are not airtight on purpose, (for safety), so I wouldn't try to seal it up tightly.

Comment

• lonnie mac
          lonnie mac commented
          Editing a comment
          Boy do I have a life story about that!

Donw - yeah I sometimes wonder with having to DIY the valve hole in the conversion kit could have some part to play in this, but previously I haven't had any problems getting up to 300+. And since I first posted this, the wind has died down and now up to 255

I have no doubt they'll be fine, I

Comment

jdanham I have a Camp Chef 24" Vertical Gas Smoker. They are a little tricky in the wind. Not sure better seals will help much. The walls are SO thin the wind will still knock down your heat. But if you are getting 250 degrees f don't worry. You'll have a great outcome. It's just going to take a little longer. Enjoy!!

Comment

I made the executive decision sauce and set for 20 minutes after 2 hours (not at 275, more like 240 average) and now they are all wrapped in my oven with a water pan @ 275F for another couple of hours. Looking forward to seeing how these turn out Click image for larger version

Name:	image_55597.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	275.3 KB
ID:	443530
            Last edited by jdanham; January 21, 2018, 07:30 PM.

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              Sounds like a plan. Let's see the final results when finished!

They look good so far.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here