Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Info Wanted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Info Wanted

18" smoke vault arrived yesterday so I put it together & fired it up to clean out the oils ect. from manufacturing. I had a hard time getting it above 350°F & I see it is very sensitive to wind & the fire went out once. Any one that has one of these or the 24" Do they make a blanket for these? or do I need to make my own? also the 2 bottom vents on the side seem to be counter productive has any one blocked them off or is that a bad idea? any tips on using one of these would be helpful. I think My MCS is going to be subdued for a long time now as I have 5 cookers the 2 large ones are only for summer get togethers Like the 4th of July. The 3 little ones are small enough that I can take them south with me for the winter. All suggestions are appreciated.

Darchie03, I wish I could be of some Help to You but❓ Perhaps Max Good can be of Some Help to You❓ Good Luck!
    Eat Well and Prosper! From a Backyard Cremator in Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

Originally posted by Darchie03 View Post
      18" smoke vault arrived yesterday so I put it together & fired it up to clean out the oils ect. from manufacturing. I had a hard time getting it above 350°F & I see it is very sensitive to wind & the fire went out once. Any one that has one of these or the 24" Do they make a blanket for these? or do I need to make my own? also the 2 bottom vents on the side seem to be counter productive has any one blocked them off or is that a bad idea? any tips on using one of these would be helpful. I think My MCS is going to be subdued for a long time now as I have 5 cookers the 2 large ones are only for summer get togethers Like the 4th of July. The 3 little ones are small enough that I can take them south with me for the winter. All suggestions are appreciated.
      Only 5 cookers? Come on now... some Pit members have 16 cookers that they will admit to. It could be more, who knows? At 5 you're just getting started.🤑🤑🤑

Comment

The flame shouldn't go out easily. Unless it was extremely windy, I recommend calling Camp Chef to trouble shoot.

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          Max Good, It was about 8 to 10 MPH I but a piece of metal in front of the legs to block wind that seamed to take care of the wind. Do you have any thoughts on the 2 side vents?

There was a reported issue with the regulator stopping flow when the pressure from the tank was too high. The suggestion I received was to only crack the tank valve less than 1 turn to prevent this. I never open more than 1/2 to 3/4 and can crank mine up enough to bake in.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Great info. Thanks!

• Breadhead
          Breadhead commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to the Pit Donw ...👍

Darchie03 Opening or damping down the side vents gives your wood more or less oxygen for a slight increase or decrease in temp. You should position the smoker so the front or back is facing the wind, not the damper sides. I'm no meteorologist or regulatory expert, but outdoor cookers are required to pass certain tests. One of the engineers for a well known gas grill manufacturer says they must pass tests that demonstrate burners can withstand some wind without blowout, " The wind test is another that is part of the ANSI standard. For this an anemometer and diffuser are required to insure the wind current is even and running at 10 MPH".

Comment

• Darchie03
          Darchie03 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here