Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for info

Looking for info on the Camp Chef 18" Propane Smoker. Their 24” has a gold rating in our reviews but nothing is said about the 18”. The only difference I can see is the width, I am looking for a small unit that I can use as portable. I have 2 large smokers but they are not portable. Thanks in advance for any info from someone who has one of the 18” units or has used one.

I own the Camp Chef Smoke Vault 24" Vertical. Have never cooked on the 18" unit. However, both units have the same 18,000 BTU/hr output burner. The max temperature on both is listed as 400 degrees f. Both are convertible to Natural Gas. So I'll go out on a limb and guess that the 18" Smoke Vault probably will hold low and slow just fine. My 24" will hold 160 degrees if I want to go that low. The usual problem with vertical gas smokers is that they run too hot! So I'm thinking that you will be happy with the Smoke Vault 18" if you decide to go that route.

As an aside....I find the Smoke Vault 24" to be VERY portable! (I drive a pickup truck) And it holds a LOT more meat. It's nice to be able to place whole slabs of ribs on the rack. With an extra rack you could easily get 8 slabs in that thing. Something to consider. Cheers!!

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the input, I have a GMG Davy Crockett which is portable but want to add a small smoker. This is for my winter hideout & space is very limited. I am hopping That Max Good , might have some info on this model.

Hopefully Max Good can shed some light on this subject. He is the man for stuff like this.

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Spinaker, I had trouble getting his link to come up right.

We didn't test the 18" Smoke Vault but I agree with @PLBowmaster that it should essentially be a smaller version of the 24". Since you already have your portable Davy Crockett, should I assume you want the Smoke Vault to be a permanent resident at your getaway?

Comment

• Darchie03
      Darchie03 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thank you, Max Good, No it cant be left out in the desert no place to store it & it would not be there the next winter it would walk away.
      If I could store it I might go for the 24" but it's just me & some times 1or 2 others My large cooks are in the summer when I am in UT. near family.
      Dave

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here