Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Installing needle valve on gas smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installing needle valve on gas smoker

I have a Camp Chef Smoke Vault (24 inch) which I like a lot except for the temp control. I have a hard time maintaining the temp once I get it going. The control knob is very touchy so I am thinking of installing a needle valve to help with this.

First of all, I have read some conflicting posts about the safety of doing this. I would like some information and suggestions from someone who has actually installed one of these on their gas smoker. For instance, what and where to buy the valve and any information on the installation process.

It is quite frustrating to constantly monitor and move the control knob. I have only had this unit for less than a year so buying a new smoker is out of the question. Just want to modify this one if it is safe and effective.

I don't have one, but have you talked to the people at Camp Chef? They might have an easy solution.

Comment

I know, in 2009, when I was having a hard time getting my GOSM gas smoker to run at 225F, I did a lot of searching around and almost went the needle valve route. I found one comment in a forum that led me to using the area between low and off (I have to push the knob in to get there) would give me the temp control that I was looking for. It has worked great. What has worked even better is not trying to hit 225F +/- 1 degree on the gas smoker, low and slow is anything below 250F, at least to me.

Comment

I have not talked to the people at Camp Chef but may do so. First I would like to hear about the needle valve. Thanks

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here