Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

24" smoke vault cook times

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

24" smoke vault cook times

Hey this is my first post here. Love the website and bought the book and finally signed up for the pit master club. My wife bought me a 24" smoke vault and it seems that I can never get my food to temperature even close to the times that meathead lists on the recipes. Yesterday I smoked a pork shoulder that was roughly 6 pounds and it took 21 hours to get to 203 degrees! I was running the smoker at 230-240 degrees all day and kept my water pan full. Does that sound right? Thermometer is a maverick et733 and double checking internal temps with an instant read.
    Thank you

That's a long time, but it could happen. Just double checking, but are you measuring your cooker temp at the grate with the second Maverick probe? Also, how did that 21 hour shoulder turn out? And, if by "shoulder" you are referring to a picnic and not a butt, the picnic has a lot of bone in it which can significantly effect the cooking time in my experience.

BTW, welcome to the Pit. When you get a chance, you might want to get your signature set up so we can know a little about you and what equipment you are using, etc.

Comment

Thank you I'll set that up in a little bit. And yes Ye second probe is clipped on the same rack as the meat. A few inches away. There was only one bone in the meat I'm not exactly sure which cut it was, the butcher I go to has great meat and good prices but the counter help isn't always the most helpful. It came out good. Tender and moist. Would it help to bump the temperature up a bit from the start?

Comment

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        You can do butts or shoulders up to 275ºF. Also, as theroc says, if you wrap it at the stall it will reduce cooking times quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan of wrapping butt and I never wrap ribs, but some folks love it.

Hi Chrisengler. I also have a 24" SV and the last pork butt I did was about 6 lbs bone-in and it took about 10 hours to reach 198 when
      I pulled it. I did wrap the roast when it reached 155, though, and was cooking between 240 and 260. If you didn't wrap, I could imagine
      the cook stretching out because of the stall. No idea if that couple account for the extra 10 hours.

Comment

I cook my pork shoulders at 225 and 21 hours is about what it takes for mine.

Comment

Can't help with the smoke vault question ... but I can say welcome to the Pit!

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Chrisengler. It's great to have you here. Thank you for your support.

Since this is your first post, please check out our homework assignment post for new members. It contains a few how-tos and please-dos. This will help you learn your way around so you can get the best experience from our forum.

Also, it's very important that you add the domain AmazingRibs.com to your email safe list in case you are ever drawn as our monthly Gold Medal Giveaway winner!

See you around The Pit!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here