Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So my 24 inch smoke vault arrived today!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So my 24 inch smoke vault arrived today!

I put it together in A little over an hour! So proud of myself. And I seasoned it and while doing so I noticed a lot of smoke escaping and my.question is ...did I see here where someone had sealed the door to prevent that and if so how? I have a 5# rack of pork I. Sous vide that will go on the smoker. I promise to send picks by end of week. Also bought it at Amazon warehouse for 229.00 including tax. Was in great condition. Just the box was damaged.

Where have you been??

I heard that 24" can hold PLENTY meat.

Comment

STG on the new rig. Cant wait to see the pics.

Question: Does it need door seals? Does it not hold temp well.

Comment

Don't fix it if it ain't broke. Your SV has a wide temp range. You should be able to hold temps without sealing the door.

Comment

I am not real good at the whole blog thing😢 Took a little vacation to the Smokey Mountains and then since the weather was not great when we got home to Michigan I started painting the interior of the h o use. So look now it looks like spring might be here to stay.
          I haven't smoked anything yet in the vault but I am chomping at the bit. Tonight I am g o ing to test the SNS on some mushroom swiss burgers on homemade cheese buns.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
            Jerod Broussard commented
            Editing a comment
            Neato on the vacation. I didn't grow up with vacations and it is a good thing cause I don't do them now.

Yes, the SV leaks like screen door. I used some high temp felt initially to try and seal mine up, better, but not what I'd hoped. I have some high temp RTV (for fireplace windows) I will try next...bit of a pain to get the smoke/tape residue off...any ideas?

Comment

Don't fix it. I still have one of those and it lasted me 3 yrs. Still in decent shape but if u fix it u will smother the fire and have all kinds of trouble keeping the wood from going out. Then u have to open it pull the fire tray relight it and put it back in. That's the problem I consistently had until I just let the ok come out the door; then it worked fine. Less extinguishing after that..

Comment

• choffert
              choffert commented
              Editing a comment
              But...it's a gasser?!?

True but the flame is just below the wood pan. The wood pan does not hold very much at all. The flame does not keep the charcoal or the wood lit. It dries it out. Water pan right above it. Not enough room for air to keep the wood lit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here