Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoke Vault Maintenance; Low Temps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoke Vault Maintenance; Low Temps

I converted My Smoke Vault 24 to natural gas per Camp Chef and it was running fine getting temps 350°+ F. I had trouble some times keeping them low. After a few years, I cannot seem to get over 260°/270° F on high. I cleaned the head, vacuumed, scrubbed with water, checked the gas ports, blew out the Venturi (?) and still am limited on temp. I’d like to do another turkey this season but it’s not gonna work well unless I can get the temps back up. I can’t find any additional guidance on cleaning or maintenance on the SV24. Anyone have any advice or direction to getting the temp back up?

Maybe your burner needs replaced?

Comment

Sounds like the flow restrictor in the regulator might be stuck on. Take hose off the tank, turn the temp dial all the way to high for a few minutes and then set back to normal range. Might even give the regulator a few light taps. Hook hose back up to tank and then slowly turn tank valve to a half turn and light. Slowly open tank valve but no more than 2 or 3 turns. If temps rise higher then the restrictor is back to normal. If they don’t then might need to purchase a new regulator.

Comment

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        If the flow was applied fast enough the restrictor could trigger no matter propane or natural. I know a fellow in town who has added a small valve inline on his hose because he has experienced it with his natural gas supply regulator the gas company installed in his backyard so he could connect his Vault and griddle to the house piping.

• Donw
        Donw commented
        Editing a comment
        The software posted my comment twice for some reason, so I’m removing this repeat.

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        OK, that makes sense.

Thank you all for the advice! I tried to reset the regulator a couple times with no success. Looks like I’m contacting Camp Chef for some parts.

Comment

• snowswamp
        snowswamp commented
        Editing a comment
        Camp Chef said the same thing as others have already recommended. They believe the gas hose has an issue and needs replaced. I’ll keep this updated as I try to figure this out for those interested (which may be only me 😀).

Following up, way late. I cleaned the burner with a brush (a couple times), checked the hose, and it started working again. Something must have needed to be shaken out.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here