Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Leveling my Smoke Vault on uneven ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leveling my Smoke Vault on uneven ground.

So I live on a hill. My yard is a hill, my driveway is a hill...so I'm looking for anyone that has attached anything to the legs that makes leveling the smoke vault easier. I tend to prop up the legs with pieces of wood but it isn't the most steady. Anyone have any advice?

1. How high do you need to raise the downhill side to get it level? 2. Do you move it into place for each cook or is it semipermanent?

Comment

• bmillin
      bmillin commented
      Editing a comment
      My thoughts exactly - no two spots would be the same. Maybe a nice thick sheet of plywood with adjusting bolts in the corners? Two short and two long 3/8" bolts, washer and nut above and below the plywood.

• JasonS
      JasonS commented
      Editing a comment
      I move it from the storage area to, generally, the same area to cook. I wish it was a semi permanent area but that isn't a possibility.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Any idea on height? 2”, 4” etc... ?

I use wood chunks/splinters.

Comment

• JasonS
      JasonS commented
      Editing a comment
      That's what I've been using. I was hoping someone had experience with a more permanent adjustment method.

Can you dig out an area that becomes your go to spot? Dig out a space to level, then put some pavers down and retaining pavers to hold the dirt around it? I dont think that would be too expensive?

Comment

My first thought was 3/8” double holed side beam hangers that you could bolt to the legs and then screw leveling feet or threaded rod into. Unfortunately the legs on the Smoke Vault are splayed out so it might be hard to get a vertical line from smoker to the ground. bmillin ‘s idea seems to be the most straightforward and easiest to build, or Dig a little and use barelfly ‘s method.
      Last edited by Donw; December 17, 2021, 09:31 PM. Reason: Misspelled a member’s tag

Comment

There's a multitude of adjustable legs/feet available to purchase, or you could fabricate your own from connecting nuts and threaded rod. Weld a nut on the end and use your cordless drill to raise and lower.
        Cheers
        Bill Click image for larger version

Name:	b92e0accf478c94491b27bdbf96079c2.jpg
Views:	388
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	1144009 Click image for larger version

Name:	sygheavy_m10x75.jpg
Views:	373
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	1144010

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Your first photo is exactly the method I used on my old smokers when I had to set them up on uneven ground. I’d put a hockey puck on the ground to spread the load on the dirt, and then start leveling on top of them. Works like a charm.

• JasonS
          JasonS commented
          Editing a comment
          This was sort of what I was thinking. I like the idea of using a power drill to screw in/out the bolt.

I think your best bet will be a wooden frame that fits the footprint of the 4 legs, with levelers installed on the frame. I don't know that those sheet metal legs themselves will be sturdy enough to mount anything directly to them.

Something like what this guy did with wheels for a Smokevault, but I would just make the frame the size of the leg pattern, and put the levelers on each corner:

Click image for larger version

Name:	acf87d9186e9abc53a980706f2764740.jpg
Views:	379
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1144020
        Last edited by jfmorris; December 18, 2021, 09:33 AM.

Comment

Or, if you need to move it around, you could put an axle and wheelbarrow wheels on one end and leveling feet on the other similar to what I did on my GMG. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0282.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	1144040

Comment

Do you have any woodworking equipment/experience, or a friend who could make something for you?

Make a frame as jfmorris posted above - use salt treated lumber. Then take two pieces of lumber long enough to level the cooker and cut a long through groove through them long enough to level the cooker. These are your "adjusters". Then drill a hole on each end of the frame where the adjusters need to go. Stick a bolt through the hole in the frame from the back, (the bolt needs to be long enough to go through the frame and the adjuster with room for a nut), add the adjuster and the nut. It may be necessary to add a piece of lumber to the frame right next to the adjusters to keep them from twisting side to side.

When you have the cooker situated for a cook, you can use a wrench to tighten the adjusters in the right spot to make the cooker level.

Comment

Be thankful. It sure beats unleveling on even ground.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here