Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shhh - top secret - weber genesis ii smart grill ex-335 gas grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shhh - top secret - weber genesis ii smart grill ex-335 gas grill

I'm guessing this maybe is not supposed to be out there so look fast before it disappears, but here's what's seems to be coming soon. Love the black frame versus grey, that alone might make me hold off, but it comes with cast iron grates

...and just in case that site goes down before tomorrow morning
    Attached Files

I gave my stainless grates to my sister and her finance for the Weber I bought them since I have upside down GrillGrates on mine.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
      Jerod Broussard commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy that is the secret. Much better sear, much better experience. Never went back.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      I love the copy for the ad; "world-class grilling engine". We have another entry for the "Stupid Marketing hype" awards.

• scottranda
      scottranda commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy for me, it’s the zero chance of scorching your food from flare up, especially with fatty foods like sausage. Of course traditional grill grates work, but it’s so much easier to cook all your food without having to worry about ruining food from a flare up.

Will this give you an opportunity to purchase the older generation at a reduced price? Only difference I see is the tech upgrades. If that is what you are looking for then the newer model is the way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by glitchy View Post
      LOL, I do not understand all the love for GrillGrates. On an underpowered cooker they are great (like Traeger Pros) to amplify heat for searing. On my Spirit I brushed and ran the spatula down the grooves every cook and still watched crap from past cooks seep out and splatter all over my food at high temps. What am I missing? In all fairness I never ran them upside down. Is that the real secret to GrillGrate ❤️?
      You really should flip your GGs over on your gasser and give them a try, glitchy . They get super hot for searing and there are no flareups to singe your eyebrows off.

I'm a clean nut when it comes to the BBQ grates that I put our food on, and my GGs pass the test. After use, I turn up all the burners and let the food burn off them for 15-20 minutes. Then I take wadded-up aluminum foil and clean them (wearing this glove and this kevlar arm sleeve for protection from the high heat). Next I let them continue to heat for another 10 minutes or so to make sure all is ash. When cool, I wipe them down. They're ready for the next cook. I routinely use them flipped so the solid side is up, especially for searing.

For more convenience, I often use a couple of Grill Grate Griddles put on top of the Grill Grates for searing. They're nice because they also get super hot, they are OK to set on top of the GGs (unlike cast iron pots for example), and when done I can take them in the house and scrub them with an SOS pad, rinse, and store them in my kitchen cupboard for next use. That way I don't even have to mess with cleaning the custom-fit Grill Grates on my gasser.

I think you're missing a convenience, especially since you already own a set of Grill Grates. I agree that cleaning the ridged side of Grill Grates can be a pain with a brush, but with my method with aluminum foil (scrunched to perfectly fit the valleys), it's not bad at all.

That new GenesisII 335 looks right up your alley, BTW. I bet you could really put it through its paces nicely.

Kathryn

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the awesome feedback. In some ways all that cleaning sounds like a lot of extra work and main reason I want a gasser is for less work when the weather sucks, although breaking down the process it doesn't sound like it's really that much time over the grill cleaning. I'll have to give upside down a shot if I get a gasser again.

As far as putting through the paces, we'll have to see how things go. I don't know if it will get enough use to get near as comprehensive as the SmokeFire.

• Bkhuna
        Bkhuna commented
        Editing a comment
        Geez Kathryn, when do you find the time to eat?

• DrJimmy2112
        DrJimmy2112 commented
        Editing a comment
        Great ideas fzxdoc , thank you! I love my GG's and have the griddle as well. I am no where near as meticulous with cleaning them as you are, I need to up my game on that front.

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post

You really should flip your GGs over on your gasser and give them a try, glitchy . They get super hot for searing and there are no flareups to singe your eyebrows off.

I'm a clean nut when it comes to the BBQ grates that I put our food on, and my GGs pass the test. After use, I turn up all the burners and let the food burn off them for 15-20 minutes. Then I take wadded-up aluminum foil and clean them (wearing this glove and this kevlar arm sleeve for protection from the high heat). Next I let them continue to heat for another 10 minutes or so to make sure all is ash. When cool, I wipe them down. They're ready for the next cook. I routinely use them flipped so the solid side is up, especially for searing.

For more convenience, I often use a couple of Grill Grate Griddles put on top of the Grill Grates for searing. They're nice because they also get super hot, they are OK to set on top of the GGs (unlike cast iron pots for example), and when done I can take them in the house and scrub them with an SOS pad, rinse, and store them in my kitchen cupboard for next use. That way I don't even have to mess with cleaning the custom-fit Grill Grates on my gasser.

I think you're missing a convenience, especially since you already own a set of Grill Grates. I agree that cleaning the ridged side of Grill Grates can be a pain with a brush, but with my method with aluminum foil (scrunched to perfectly fit the valleys), it's not bad at all.

That new GenesisII 335 looks right up your alley, BTW. I bet you could really put it through its paces nicely.

Kathryn
      I couldn't agree more!

I do something similar for my trusty old Genesis Silver B. The set-up consists 5 panels with a spacer. I have two panels, flat side up, and the others rail side up. It get's me the best of both worlds. I'm a clean nut too and I actually use the grillgrates spatula to scrape the channels. One day, when they have a sale, I may pull the trigger on their "ss grate valley grill brush"

Comment

• GolfGeezer
        GolfGeezer commented
        Editing a comment
        Skinsfan1311 I have the valley brush and do not find it very useful. The foil approach works much better. The problem is that the brush is basically round in shape, but the "valleys" are U-shaped. I mostly just use the GG spatula and run it down the bottom of the "valleys" to free up stuff. The foil/burn/wipe is much easier and thorough.

• tiewunon
        tiewunon commented
        Editing a comment
        Agree with GolfGeezer concerning the brush.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here