Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

broke down and bought a gasser

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

broke down and bought a gasser

I had a gas grill about 40 years ago, I had it about 5 years and wasn't impressed. Things have changed. Quality mainly. I just got a Weber Spirit 2 210, bottom of the line basically. Just for quick stuff. I find myself using it every other day. It does a great job on things like kabobs. So easy, quick and clean to use. Made a burger today, best I have had in a long time. It was great. Maybe could have been better on charcoal but this was definitely easier. Not everything has to be done on a PBC or Big Green Egg or whatever. I know, kind of blasphemy to go on about! But results and ease of use do matter. I remember the assembly 40 years ago and thought never again, but this was not bad.

I bought one for the first time last year. I didn't have your luck due to my age and habits cooking over fire. However, everyone here gave great advice and kept encouraging me. There is no shame in using gas.

Comment

• bbqLuv
      bbqLuv commented
      Editing a comment
      Yep no same in using a gasser. I have a little portable for camping. The most flavor for burgers was from a gasser and lava rocks. Had it for years, camping, hunting, fishing and back yard.

I agree, quick and easy, good flavor too. Never-the-Less, pellet grill is almost as quick, just as easy, but there is the clean up thing.

Comment

I bought a gasser (my first experience in 43 yrs of life, nothing growing up) after my divorce last year for quick meals just outside the door, and big enough to grill burgers for 30-40 in a reasonable amount of time. If charcoal is better my taste buds can't tell cause these upside down GrillGrates are the ticket. I know I ain't gotta light a bunch of charcoal to get enough BTU's (Big Heat Units according to Tool Time ) to cook just for myself, then let them die out or try to some save some that really ain't worth saving, and you don't find that out until the relight.

Congrats on the gasser!!!

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Grill Grates adds to any grill.

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        BTU's really? LOL!

I started off out of college with a crappy gas grill, then went to charcoal for 10-12 years, before someone gave me a practically new Weber Genesis 2 burner grill about 15-16 years ago. Not one to turn a gift down, I found I loved it, and went almost exclusively to gas for grilling, only firing up charcoal for smoking stuff. About 3-4 years ago I bought a used Performer Deluxe from a friend, and re-discovered the joy of grilling on charcoal. BUT I also got a new Genesis 4 burner in early 2019, and use it more often than the kettle when the job is direct grilling. It's just more convenient, and I think burgers, chicken wings, etc, are just as good off it as off the kettle.

So, don't feel any shame in using gas. I use mine all the time!

Comment

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        What no Pellet grill 😁

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        bbqLuv nope - right now the 4 burner gasser, the 6 burner flat top, the Performer Deluxe, the offset, and a smattering of outdoor burners has my cooking needs covered. That, plus I like smoke, and am used to charcoal and wood. I am afraid I would just be disappointed in a pellet pooper.

I bought a cheap Ebay 6 burner years ago and have flogged it to death, rarely cook meat inside anymore. It's like Grandad's axe, replaced the grills and burners as I slowly destroy them. Got my COS several years ago and love it but still use the gas during the week for convenience

Comment

Gasser is a mainstay in my arsenal. Love the charcoal, but there is always a place for needing to cook with gas.

Comment

I used gas for years as my only grill. It is a fine way to cook. No shame it's just another tool in the box.

Comment

I just tossed out my old Chargriller and replaced it with a Napoleon Triumph. Gas is great for when time is tight and in a hurry or just for general grilling. I have used the gasser a lot just as an oven and to sear roasts and such. Helps keep the heat out of the kitchen in the summer.

Comment

Congrats on your purchase, Mark V .

Gassers are great, depending on how you want/need to cook. If you have the luxury of time, then charcoal is more fun to play with and yields, I believe, better flavor--for longer cooks.

But when I need to keep dinner prep short and simple, the gasser shines. I've got a 6 burner Weber Summit with a rotisserie feature, and it functions as

1. A searing station, especially when used with flipped-over Grill Grates or a Grill Grate Griddle. It's a perfect pair for those sous-vide-then-sear cooks that I do a lot of.

2. A go-to for short cooks: Meathead observes that there's no difference in flavor between a gasser and charcoal for those 15-20 min cooks that seem to dominate much of my outdoor cooking. My family's taste buds agree.

3. A Blackstone cooktop wannabe when paired with the large Steelmade Griddle. I especially like the fact that the gasser's design keeps 90% of the splatter inside the grill and not on my deck.

4. When paired with a Dutch Oven, it's a great way to fry foods like chicken, french fries, etc. For the technique, see Meathead's article on the free side on using the gas grill to fry food and keep the smell outdoors

5. A pellet cooker copycat when paired with the Amaz-N-Tube, especially for salmon (delivers light smoke to foods)

6. A great outdoor oven. Perfect for keeping the heat outside in the summer.

7. An efficient way to burn off the gunk from the grates used on my Weber charcoal grills.

Pretty darn versatile, I'd say.

Kathryn
              Last edited by fzxdoc; September 17, 2020, 06:59 AM.

Comment

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris Camp Chef is a sleeper - they make lots of CI too..

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                No, I don't have a Blackstone, JGo37 . I use the Steelcase griddle on my Summit 6 burner gasser.

K.

• troymeister
                troymeister commented
                Editing a comment
                Nicely said! I must say...If I ever win the Pitmaster Raffle...I have my eye of one of those really good gassers.
                Last edited by troymeister; November 2, 2020, 08:21 PM.

Did you say skewers on a Weber Spirit 210?

Click image for larger version

Name:	KFo_aplcxPlfL8i14wsw4wvPfMXsVwpmfc6VNFjfx_IrDzUaIR3ZKg2Btp0bGq11Bpl7oF5YV48AJ5GeHCmUWKC7_Xmg9IwBPySfGk5avWLNCUf4iYBWqv28seogvVntL6sf14Cp850r77cPkmVeduUC3GOrXLmUXVG8NF3_ZWqTR_u8i5RmS8BheZJx-dcrjtuf8Sos4Hhsre5tiwGvIO8jGlnHNbxbSLf8kebPyDjS2oUbetZyngkgaLNmRGO
Views:	391
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	912245

Name:	jPtGG7WnpEz5-ddtXGo4iJ6kFbH-9K-DMVLLG4yA89wXmgdUKaKU1A0XpHh46kgBuBS97pP-m2RqkDAryqAnX8EFxkSsT2g6SflQHclRsYrFeQUOO718pfKCKvsY_XSRTt21kI7JzFZMbGnkPpAzwLxaTs5tKoIBIpOdf9mZt6wdu63U-yn38m07NTGRjZpiTEjJjmQC1uHXT_id7M12qJJtrHGDSAn2YEQImJFyedKBV7OqEtpbvZWuX-dcWys
Views:	395
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	912248

Name:	MpKhfkt_rtOJ5mlfV44v-7R2PaNC5yHkc8YbVw-FB0urLJNyvihW9wncq_xNRZQiIBd8CvXcoiHQdyU_yi3YL7WlFrLX2v0STo1ib1rsSSc7A8Z24l9cXGYHnB_rw6NjzpJM3SGtdTqZ74phqHCQ7lRUJlZMSENPTG8LIdFjKcXt7ouMJ0pPP9plBqb6azT4NEaoA8m14zBYReZIB4DgA5CsmBACRPncmNjsM8FGLfausRJhxDIK-omQBEYOBEB
Views:	395
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	912244

Name:	vBW2M9USOvNlBKnEXv_0p9L1dUUq12BQ9dpppevEoW1UOvEXq49bSGKNhi2-fGxaxy2px7siZUTytBjncfrNdMOl6CO8C-hD52BTy77LWv_SRHA1mGxkUHdsUCKGzTQktmbZz5kNYtRRMlWRp5dl7e8j1nzkB4p8T4fj65oRwGcX961Cc_ilVBhcw9FI52uI5XEVDa56yhxaUtE1yeg6sTAAgv8aK2I0lU_MdZ5tmteAPibcXkM3KHaZ9U6ZKfd
Views:	392
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	912246

Name:	Yzapp8n0v0WZT8eYqAQZb_JpOqb7C7x6Jm90-qgYr8g2kPtJebmHKjY-QFEEN0DkurptDmW2zsCIbK_23d2h7Lsp2K3i7wKcI2PTJ5JIjRwTQyOwa8NsFcZHbMYG_nbK56PLl4GpOyuQt7qATtuRpJl926gmx3IXxHsv3LJSeSjx_BwtQ567dSojNUrUa0kwmGTsCWmK9daPfphumjrMPkQ1JHpiL-No7LF-TBO2EUqgZoz8yLmAQ3p5L-7G6mS
Views:	398
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	912247

Comment

For YEARS the only grill I had was a gasser. Started out with $99 special...it worked but I outgrew it and picked up a 6-burner Summit with all the bells & whistles. I cooked EVERYTHING on that for a long time, until I decided to get a dedicated smoker. That’s when MCS hit. LOL Fifteen years later and it’s still going strong.

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                You're singing my song as well, surfdog . Loved gasser cooking for its convenience but got restless to play with a smoker again, years after Old Unfaithful (my ex) took the WSM with him in the split.

I smoked on the gasser for a while, following Meathead's directions for doing it well, but the PBC turned my head, MCS set in, and the rest is history. Yay!

K.

I have 5 cookers, 6 if you count the propane fryer - 8 if you count the portables for camping. But not a gasser in sight yet... LoL I want the inexpensive one we recommend in here, for searing.

Comment

Gassers are great. They are vesitile. Theyre easy. The food is tasty
                Grillgrates make them better
                Side burners are awesome.
                You can even smoke in them.
                If I could only have 1 cooker, it'd be gas.

And it'd be a broil king.

Comment

Originally posted by fzxdoc View Post
                  Congrats on your purchase, Mark V .
                  =

2. A go-to for short cooks: Meathead observes that there's no difference in flavor between a gasser and charcoal for those 15-20 min cooks that seem to dominate much of my outdoor cooking. My family's taste buds agree.

Kathryn
                  With all due respect to you, and Meathead, that is not so. Comona my house, and I'll show you the marked difference, and flavor, of ribeyes over a combination of regular briquets and mesquite lump charcoal.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by zinfella; November 2, 2020, 11:08 AM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It likely depends on cooking techniques, and what you are cooking. I did burgers on my Weber Performer (charcoal) and my Weber Genesis (gas) side by side by side for many years - I would often be feeding 30+ folks on the 4th of July, and I don't think anyone knew which burgers came off which grill.

If your lump or briquettes have ashed over and stopped producing smoke, most smoke flavor in the food comes from drippings hitting the fuel.

• zinfella
                    zinfella commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That brown crust from the Mailard reaction also adds serious flavor that gassers ca't match without overcooking the steaks. Mesquite flavor is quite noticeable. Been doing steaks this way for over 50 years.

I had a nice Bull 4 burner 15,000 btu's ea + 15,000 btu side burner gasser. I no longer have the Bull, but still have my Weber kerttle.

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here