Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Scraper for cleaning flavorizor bars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scraper for cleaning flavorizor bars

Hey everyone... new Weber Genesis 435 owner here. Finally decided to jump back into gas after being hooked on charcoal for years. As usual, no regrets after buying a new Weber product.

Anyway, I'm curious what you folks use to scrape your flavorizor bars and other surfaces inside the grill. I've got a stainless steel scraper that I use on my Blackstone, but will that scratch the Weber surfaces? Would plastic be safer?

Thanks all.

Are they stainless steel? I always used a wadded up piece of aluminum foil.

Comment

Sorry, I don't have a gas grill...

Nobody's perfect, right?

I do find this to be Universally Effective, when cleanin is needed:

Comment

I just use a putty knife from my tool box. Works great. No damage to anything.

Comment

I use a 7-in-1 painters tool. Works great.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Them work great fer a multitude of things, I have several...

Nice. Keeping it simple. Thanks for the input!

Comment

I use a brass putty knife. You have to be careful using stainless because it can scratch. But It depends on how often you plan on cleaning them. Cleaning more often will extend their life, I usually have to replace mine every 2 years.

Comment

I have had a Weber gas grill for 20 years, and currently have a Genesis II E-410.

When doing a deep cleaning a couple of times a year, I just pull the flavorizer bars out, scrape them with a putty knife, and scrape down the inside of the firebox as well, hose it all down, put it back together, and run on high for 15 minutes to dry it all out.

If you hose it out like I do, the igniter may not work while it is still wet in there, so I have to light it with a lighter until it runs for a few minutes and dries out.
              Last edited by jfmorris; August 29, 2020, 08:37 PM.

Comment

• jerrybell
                jerrybell commented
                Editing a comment
                vtkess02 Same here - scrape everything with a putty knife. I vacuum up the loose bits instead of hosing off then do a cleaning burn at high heat.

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
              When doing a deep cleaning a couple of times a year, I just pull the flavorizer bars out, scrape them with a putty knife, and scrape down the inside of the firebox as well, hose it all down, put it back together, and run on high for 15 minutes to dry it all out.
              This leads to a question... you only deep clean your grill a couple times a year? I've had mine for about 6 weeks and I feel like it's gotten surprisingly dirty in the cookbox. I wonder if there's something I should be doing in the short-term to keep it from getting too nasty.

Comment

• jdsmith
                jdsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                What problems are you having with the way it's performing now? I tend to clean my Weber Genesis once a year. The only issue I have that would encourage me to clean more frequently is if I'm getting flare ups from dripping butter or something, but that tends to happen even on a clean grill.

• vtkess02
                vtkess02 commented
                Editing a comment
                I wouldn't say I'm having problems. It just looks dirty. It's possible that I get a little OCD about my outdoor cooking...

• jdsmith
                jdsmith commented
                Editing a comment
                Lol, I guess my OCD is calibrated differently than yours! You can always wash the exterior and leave the interior as-is if you're not having performance issues.

The flip side is when I was using my aunt's gas grill a few weeks ago. I was getting so many flare ups and the heat was so uneven I was struggling to cook bratwurst. Apparently I gave her enough of a hard time that she spent a few hours cleaning it the next day!

Originally posted by vtkess02 View Post

This leads to a question... you only deep clean your grill a couple times a year? I've had mine for about 6 weeks and I feel like it's gotten surprisingly dirty in the cookbox. I wonder if there's something I should be doing in the short-term to keep it from getting too nasty.
              I have a full replacement set of Grillgrates on my Genesis II, and the older Genesis I gave my daughter recently. They tend to keep all the trash out of the body of the grill, making for a lot less cleaning than I may have done in the past.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here