Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoking on a WIB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking on a WIB

New to the Pit and have been into Meathead’s book for most of the summer and trying to find the best ways to smoke on a gasser.

I am using a Weber Genesis (WIB?) and pretty comfortable using a single burner - far left next to the searing station - to set up a two zone.

I’ve tried lots of different things and am not yet satisfied on a good set up that balances consistent heat to the wood and getting it close to the meat so the smoke does not just waft out.

Right now I’m thinking foil packets with wood chips for short cooks and a smoker box with some lit charcoals or laying wood chunks on the flavorizer bars for longer cookers.

Please chime in on thoughts and experiences. Thanks!

I've smoked great ribs and pulled pork on my gasser for years.

Here's an article from the free side.

https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...aintenance-and

Short version - add water pan below your meat.
    Fiddle with knobs until you can maintain a 225-250 temp.
    Add foil pouches with wood chips

​​​​​​On my 5 burner - I have the burners 1-3 {from the left} turned off, with a water pan below the grate.
    Burners 4 and 5 turned between medium and low gives me a 250 temp. Above the water pan.
    I use foil packets with wood chips on the far right side.

A good handful of chips last about 1/2 an hour.

Invest in a decent thermometer like a Maverick 732 or XR50
    ​​​​​​
    Last edited by BFlynn; July 21, 2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• SirWeezey
      SirWeezey commented
      Editing a comment
      Great - thanks. Good plan for this cook. Wasn’t thinking about a water pan.

I would just use wood chunks instead of messing with chips.. Just set 1 or 2 in a little foil tray on the bars where you'd put the chip pouches to hold the ash and let her rip!

Comment

• SirWeezey
      SirWeezey commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I only have the one burner going at low or medium low to keep the indirect side at 225-250. Is that going to be hot enough to get a few chunks going?

Yeah that should be fine.

If it's not hot enough you have to take off the grate and flavor bars and the chunks closer to the heat
    Last edited by BFlynn; July 22, 2020, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Welcome to the Pit! Around here Wibs are ..... well wibs! Just another name for ribs, pork ribs, that come in a wack.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here