Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice for a beginner's gas grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice for a beginner's gas grill

Hi guys!

My second post.

I'm looking for my first grill and I'd like to get a good one because think I might use it a lot as an outdoor oven (I live in a motorhome). Also I like precision and good gear so I avoid upgradeitis and buying twice.

In my place charcoal is prohibited so I was thinking in a gas grill, a 3 burner weber genesis with sear station.

I have two options:

- Buy a new e335 (1400€) or 330 (1220€) that comes with the cast iron grates.
    - Get a secondhand genesis 330 (the model discontinued in 2016) for 700€ (it seems to be in good condition) for half price and put grillgrates on it.

Does anyone have a personal opinion about that model? Does someone know the maximum temp with all the burners at max with the older genesis? the new e335 is fully covered in many places...

Any recommendation?

Thanks and regards,

Emilio

I don’t know the answer to any of your questions, but when purchasing used I ask myself what is the value of the warranty on a new grill since the warranty usually doesn’t transfer.

Comment

• pitdepitis
      pitdepitis commented
      Editing a comment
      I completely agree. In fact, here in Spain warranties can be transfered and I have asked the owner for the ticket when he bought. The grill should still be in warranty.

Weber warranties are usually very good and getting parts, at least for us is usually not a problem. They have supported everything I ever needed. I do not have a gasser.

Comment

• pitdepitis
      pitdepitis commented
      Editing a comment
      Of course. That's one of the reasons I'm looking for a weber. In Spain you can get parts too. Thanks!

Buy it used. The Weber Genesis is built like a truck, fires up nicely and is easy to rebuild. I posted in another blog that I took my neighbors old Genesis (15 years old) and totally rebuilt it (grates, burners, flavorizer bars, wheels, knobs and a new rotisserie motor) for under $250. Works like a champ.

Comment

I bought an E330 new about 7 or 8 years ago - it's been used multiple times a week, left out in the rain, and pushed to high temps many times - and it's still in outstanding working order. I've never needed the warranty for anything. I don't have grillgrates either - the stock ones work "grate" for me. So to me it's really a question of whether you want that shiny new grill experience, or to save the money.

Comment

• pitdepitis
        pitdepitis commented
        Editing a comment
        Just curiosity. How high in temp in can get with all the burners in max? Thanks!

• radshop
        radshop commented
        Editing a comment
        The dome thermometer (which is pretty accurate BTW) goes to 750 F. I’ve maxed it out multiple times.

• pitdepitis
        pitdepitis commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh thanks, that could mean even higher than 800F. A lot of searing power.

I guess that you also dont have any complaint about heat uniformity...

I'm waiting for the owner to answer back with a few questions and if I can get a discount for a e330 instead of a 335 (that is cheaper and for me could even be better). But if the difference is remarkable, I'll try to get the old one

Thanks again

I would probably go for the used one if it's in really good condition.

Comment

I'm gonna throw an idea out at ya - Don't buy a Weber. They're nice, but they are pricey.

Personally, I'd get a Broil King. Something like the Signet 320. It's about half the price of a Weber Genesis. (Just based on Lowe's website)
        Then I'd add grill grates to 1 replace one of your factory grates. There's your "sear station".

I have the 5 burner Baron, and it's built like a tank. Also, their customer service was awesome the 1 time I needed to call them. The grill grate section can hit 700F for an amazing sear.

Then, I'd take that $400 you saved and put it away. Grill a bunch. IF you ever find this grill doesn't meet your needs, then you'll have a better idea of what features you really want to pay for.
        When you realize the Broil King is amazing and you don't need another gasser, use that $400 and buy a PBC to go with it.

OR
        If you have the space - get the Broil King Baron S490.
        Bigger grill, for a little less than the weber. Comes with a side burner AND a rotisserie.
        Last edited by BFlynn; June 15, 2020, 04:24 PM.

Comment

• pitdepitis
          pitdepitis commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi! Thanks for the response!

I previously had a look to the Signet 320, but here in Spain it's much easier to get parts for weber (I also have a weber center not far from here).

But PBC? Great!!!!! I havent read about it yet in Meatheads book... ANd I couldnt avoid it: just watch it. A bit more expensive, but it's possible to get in Europe

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          The only part I've had to replace on the Broil King is the lid that covers the side burner.... bc some dummy (who's name I won't mention bc I don't want to own up to what I did), closed the lid, and turned the burner on low instead of off..... after an overnight cook, it color went to a brassy look, and warped a little. I had only had the grill a week.
          Broil King sent me a new one right away. For free. I wouldn't anticipate needing parts.

But it's hard to go wrong with a Weber

Here's a pic of my Broil King with its new PBC buddy......

Dont they look good together?

Attached Files

Comment

• pitdepitis
          pitdepitis commented
          Editing a comment
          What do you use for smoke? Aluminium foils? Pouches? hot rods?

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          So, I'll make pouches out of aluminum foil, and leave 1 of the sides open. Fill it with a big handful of wood chips, and it seems to last about 30 mins. So for the first few hours, I need to add a new pouch. After about 3 hrs, I stop.

Here's a good article about how to set up a gas grill to smoke.

I have enough room to put a water pan under the grate.

You can set up a gas grill to get excellent smoke roasted barbecue if you know how. Here's how gas grills work, the best setups, and how to maintain them.

• BFlynn
          BFlynn commented
          Editing a comment
          It takes a trial run to calibrate, but on mine I have a water pan on top burners 1 2 and 3 (from the left). I turn burner 4 to med and burner 5 to high. That keeps the temp right about 230ish deg.
          I put the foil pouches with wood chips on the far right. I can do up to 3 pork butts, or 3 racks of ribs at a time.

The gasser has smoked some good pork, but it was time for dedicated smoker.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here