Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for some Weber support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking for some Weber support

So I've been trying to contact Weber for the past couple of weeks. I've sent them emails and tried calling twice. Both times I called, I was on hold for an hour before giving up. I guess they've cut down on support staff during the pandemic. Naturally, when I can't get manufacturer support, I turn to the pit! I have an 8 year old Summit and the side burner is dangerously malfunctioning. It starts off with a really high flame, then after a few minutes, it starts shooting the flames down. I stupidly took some pictures today and luckily didn't lose any eyebrows. I tried cleaning the burner but that didn't make any difference. Any ideas on what the issue could be? Thanks in advance!
    Attached Files

It's tough to tell exactly from pictures but my best guess would be that either the burner is fouled, e.g. spider nests, grease build up, carbon deposits, ambient dirt, something that's impeding intended gas flow. Or, you've got some voids in the tubing, a crack, hole, rust out, something like that. If you have the skill/aptitude to disassemble it for better inspection and possible cleaning with a fine wire, brush, whatever the evidence suggests as an effective tool, see if it' can be remedied with cleaning. If you discover a damaged unit then it's replacement time.

Comment

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I'll give that a try this weekend

Awhile back I messaged them about their app and I can't tell you how many weeks went by but by the time they emailed back I'd forgotten I reached out in the first place. It was nothing urgent. Now I've called and messaged about the lighter on my WSCG and it's been a couple weeks already I think and given my last experience I don't expect a call back any time soon. Disappointing.

Comment

goosebr160 Take every thing apart and clean it. Then check the air vent to see that it did not some how get closed inadvertently or opened to far. Check any hose for possible leaks, turn the gas on without lighting and a diluted soap solution and brush on the hose and any other parts that might be leaking. Good luck.
      Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 10, 2020, 09:06 PM.

Comment

I never use my side burner on my 3yr old Genesis, but best I can tell from the pics, you got a gas leak.

Comment

I emailed them last week about a Summit rusting badly and got back an automated acknowledgement saying they'd get back shortly, but nothing for a week. My guess is they are inundated with WSF issues. I just checked the reviews of the WSF on their site and it seems like most are frustrated with their issues and lack of response. Fortunately I purchased the grill from a great BBQ store (San Diego Grill Pros) who took care of me. One of the advantages of dealing with a good local dealer.

Comment

I agree with others that a deep clean is in order first. What is more troubling is the lack of response. Not what we have all come to expect from Weber. Concerning.

Comment

see how orange that flame is in the first picture.......it should be mostly a pretty light blue and even all the way around. So you either have a leak due to corrosion or damage or even just a loose fitting or you need to just give everything a good cleaning. i would start with getting a spray bottle of warm water, adding a couple tablespoons of dish soap to it and turn on the burner gas but don't light it and spray the bottom of the burner and all the fittings and look for bubbles to keep forming. It will show you where you have a leak if you have one. If that doesn't work then I would recommend taking the burner assembly apart, cleaning everything really good and pay close attention to the venturi area. Sometimes bugs like spiders love to clog that area up. Not sure I would light it again until I figured out the problem and got it fixed though.

Comment

Not to make excuses, but this lock down is zapping many customer service operations. I called Weber last night for info about their latest SmokeFire app upgrades, waited, left a call back message, and still haven't heard from them. Weber is known for the best customer service in the business and even they are struggling. Definitely try the maintenance tips above.

Comment

I got nothing to add, but on a brighter note I really like your little blue barn/shed. Nice

Comment

• goosebr160
                    goosebr160 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Haha Troutman, that's another order of business! If you were to take a closer look, the trim is falling apart and one of the door hinges is rotted out. Got some repairs to make on that, but the grill takes priority!

I submitted an online warranty claim for my 2007 Summit gas grill and it took about a month to hear back from them. However, they apologized and explained that they have been recently swamped with online requests. They honored my claim and sent me a brand new cookbox! It took me a few days because I had to take apart everything on the grill. Everything was cleaned, tested, polished and put back together like new. It's a great grill!

As for your side burner, that's a breeze to take off and inspect. Submit your claim, attach the pics and I'm sure they will do you right. It just might take a little extra time.

Comment

So the whole assembly is thoroughly cleaned and there are no leaks anywhere. Still having the same issue. I think I may have found the problem. The burner ring is warped and not round. When assembled, it wobbles. I guess I'll just wait for Weber support to get back to me and see if it's covered under warranty.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Weber has ignored my warranty claim as well. They did send an automated response saying they received it but I don't understand why a company that big can't change the automated response to say response times will be slow because of the current pandemic. My business and all the companies I work with are still responding to clients and customers.

Comment

I sent another email last night and they finally responded today! New burner is being shipped! And, they are throwing in a replacement set of main burner tubes!
                        Last edited by goosebr160; June 23, 2020, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here