Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thinking of Selling My Summit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thinking of Selling My Summit

Hey all, since getting my PBC and Weber kettle w/ sns a couple years ago, I hardly ever use my 8 year old second hand Weber Summit anymore. In the past year, I've probably used it less than 5 times. I only use it for the occasional last minute grilled meal. I've been contemplating selling it and buying a Blackstone Griddle instead, but I'm worried I might regret it in the long term. It is a beautiful grill that I know will last at least another 10+ years. On the other hand, the Blackstone would add more versatility to my setup.
    My next thought was to add grill grates to the summit. I could flip them over to do more flat top style cooking, however I can't really use those for breakfast cooking because of the holes.
    Finally, I found this item from Steelmade.
    ​https://steelmadeusa.com/collections...-outdoor-grill
    I'm wondering if anyone has tried this or a similar item?

My only concern with the Steelmade or grill grates would be the griddling real estate.

What should I do to further satisfy my MCS?

Before anyone says keep the Summit and add the Blackstone, take a look at the picture of my already crowded deck.

Thanks!
    -Pete
    Attached Files

Get rid of the table and chairs. 🤣😂

Comment

• mnavarre
      mnavarre commented
      Editing a comment
      Beat me to it.

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      🤣🤣 something tells me the wife wouldn't appreciate that!

I have a half-moon griddle that I use on my Weber Kettle. After using it a coupIe years, I don’t think I need a separate griddle.

Comment

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the drip and griddle for the kettle but I'd like something bigger.

• Mosca
      Mosca commented
      Editing a comment
      Understood. What I was meaning to do was draw the parallel to the one you linked. With the gasser you would have more control over the temperature as well. The flip side is, once you’re in for $90 you might as well toss in the extra hundo and save the agg of dealing with an accessory: on, off, where to put it when it’s hot, cleaning, etc.

Griddle master

Comment

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Beat me to it as I was searching for a pic :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	095E4339-76E5-4E4D-9DB0-CD93D98D63C4.jpeg
Views:	369
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	855698

Convert “ANY” regular BBQ or Commercial Kitchen grill to a Reinforced Griddle Master Griddle Top | Teppanyaki Grill Top | Griddle Top Plate | Custom BBQ Griddle Top | Outdoor Griddle | Barbecue Griddle. By simply taking out the BBQ grates, you can turn your old BBQ into an amazing Teppanyaki Grill Top | Griddle Top Plate […]

another option if you want an exact fit for custom griddle.

grill grates are good but you can’t do liquids on them.

​​​​​​

Comment

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      These look nice, I like the custom fit! Do they have a way for the grease to drain?

• Polarbear777
      Polarbear777 commented
      Editing a comment
      Not really. I clean as I go and I appreciate that I don’t have to worry about massive fires. The black stone etc, it built to drain properly. Retrofitting a gasser with a griddle means you better know where the best drain point is.

Easier for me to just keep a roll of paper towels and a scraper handy.

Build a bigger deck?

I'm no help

Comment

• goosebr160
      goosebr160 commented
      Editing a comment
      If I wasn't fencing in my back yard this year, that might have been an option!

I don't suffer from MCS so I'd do this: Put it away for a year. I don't mean covered, I mean off the deck. See if you miss it this season. If not, sell it next year. If so, keep it.

Comment

Hunsaker makes this for the kettle. I have an 18.5” one for my WSM. This thing is a beast. https://www.hunsakersmokers.com/prod...-griddle-plate

Comment

• DumpsterFireBBQ
        DumpsterFireBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey, I wonder if that thing will fit in my PBC...

Weber makes a griddle specifically for the Summit. I have it and it works great! Also, you can buy a Weber Gourmet system grate for the Summit. Keep it!

Comment

I use my gasser for quick cooks and to compliment cooks on my main cooker. Would not want to do without it. But I also have a flat top. I have owned a couple Blackstones and now have a CampChef and that is the brand that I prefer. Although they are both very good flat top grills. All of this is to say that I could not do without my dedicated flat top. Not a week goes by that I do not cook on it. My arsenal is always a charcoal, gasser and a flat top and that mix works for me. I would keep the Summit...

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          Sell the Summit on Sat and Sun your going to need it for something.

The GriddleMaster looks nice but there is no place for grease runoff, that I can tell, except into your grill. The SteelMade version has a drip pan and holes in the front for grease runoff. Here is a topic on SteelMade griddle that you may want to look into.

You have a beautiful, solid piece of BBQ equipment there with your Weber Summit Gasser with decades of life left in it yet, goosebr160 . To get rid of the Summit for a possibly less well-made Blackstone when there are good griddle options out there is not a choice that I personally would make for my Summit Gasser. But as we always say here, to his her/his own.

I use Grill Grates on my Summit S650 and while they're great for searing, the holes are a problem for true griddle use. So I ordered the SteelMade, mostly on Uncle Bob 's recommendation. I planted the temptation for him to spend a few $$ on a Camp Chef outdoor gas range, so turnabout was fair play, I figured.

The SteelMade Griddle is in my garage, unused as yet. I have all new packages quarantine there for 3 days before opening them. I'll be busting it out soon and adding my experience to those posts on the topic I linked you to. It will be a while before I can use it since we are planning a road trip to see our newborn grandchild this week. But when we return, I'll spend my re-quarantine days playing with it.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          Polarbear777 , you make some great points. I would not want to use the SteelMade griddle without the drip tray. The design extends the width of the griddle, which means it will most likely not have overflow problems. I'll report on how well it works when I fire it up.

Kathryn

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          How was the visit? I know when I first held my granddaughters, the feeling that came over me was indescribable - it was stronger than when I held my kids the first time. Glad you guys made it back safely too.

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          You're so right, klflowers . The feeling is indescribable. That little one stole our hearts.

Kathryn

My advice follows Kathryn's - I would personally keep the Summit, as it ought to last 20+ years total, which won't happen with the Blackstone. I would add a griddle option to the Summit, which would allow you to both griddle AND grill when needed. Will it be as good a griddle as the Blackstone? Probably not - you will compromise on grease collection for example. But will it be good enough to fry some eggs and hash browns? Yes.

I have Grillgrates on my Weber Genesis II 4 burner, and just got 2 of their griddle panels from their recent factory seconds sale. I've been doing smash burgers for a couple of years using the flat side of the regular Grillgrates, and just tried doing it this past Sunday on their griddle panels, so here are my thoughts on that.

- I prefer smash burgers on the flat side of the Grillgrates, as grease drips through the holes in the panels, and does not build up on the surface like it does with the griddle panels.
        - I was able to use my spatula to push grease back and off the back edge of the griddle panels, so that it dropped down into the grill and into the Genesis II's grease management system.
        - I don't like the fact that where the Grillgrate griddle panels join, there is a raised lip. This means that you don't have a continuous flat griddle surface, but more a series of 10" wide griddle panels. Doesn't really matter, just something I didn't realize when I ordered them.

The Grillgrates flat side is useful for gridding anything that is not runny, such as eggs or pancakes, and anything not chopped small enough to go through the holes. The Grillgrates griddle panel, combined with a set of regular Grillgrates, may be sufficient for you, if you are ok with letting the grease run down through the Summit and into its grease catch pan. I've fried pounds of bacon at a time on my Genesis, using the flat side of Grillgrates, and did not overwhelm the Weber grease management system - you just need to turn the heat on the grill down to medium after preheating, to avoid starting grease fires down in the body of the grill, which can happen on high.

I've also looked at options like the Little Griddle, and some of the ones mentioned above. They all end up with a grease trough, which once full, you will need to use paper towels or something to sop up and empty.
        Last edited by jfmorris; June 2, 2020, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I have 2 GG Griddle sections too. Yes that seam is a bother, but I like the fact that I can take them inside and actually clean them with soap and water after a cook. For that reason, I use it mostly for searing. I don't make a lot of breakfast things on the grill anyway. Not a big breakfast person, and husband is content with a bagel and fruit. So my GG Griddle is handy, but I wish they made them larger without a seam. I'm guessing they don't due to warping issues.

Kathryn

I agree with fzxdoc 91% , Andrrr 97% , Mosca 68% , rickgregory 2% or slim, dshaffes 93% , Polarbear777 90% , Jfrosty27 99% , Old Glory 80% , Razor 77% & well ya get the picture. 100% Keep It. Don’t you even think anymore of gittin rid of it. It is not in our jeans! 🕶
        Last edited by FireMan; June 2, 2020, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          I need a PhD in mathematics to understand what you just said

• FireMan
          FireMan commented
          Editing a comment
          Troutman let’s just say it’s 50/50 & we’re even.

Nothing much to add here but my two cents. I have a griddle and hardly ever use it, I'm just not a griddle person. But I do own that exact same Weber Summit gasser and you'd have to pry it out of my cold, dead hands to get it away from me. Yes I own seven other cookers and if I buy another one my wife leaves, but the gasser is so versatile, especially during the week when I'm tried and don't feel like building a fire. It's one of the best cookers on the market, I'd do what someone said. Put it aside for a while, if you find you don't miss it, sell it.

Comment

Alright, thank you all as always! I will not be getting rid of it. It is too nice of a grill to part with. I'm going to look into the different griddle insert options and take it from there.

Comment

• fzxdoc
            fzxdoc commented
            Editing a comment
            Good decision My Summit gasser is smiling in solidarity with yours.

K.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here