Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill can't get cool enough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill can't get cool enough

hi there

I have a weber genesis, a maverick digital thermometer and a v shaped smoked box between the the left most flavour bar and the side of the BBQ. The left most burner is on low, the propane is dialled down and I have two Pyrex dishes filled with hot water to absorb heat and keep things moist.

For the life of me, I can't hit 225! 240's only. Any advice?

I should add that the burners are front to back not side to side so an entire burner is visible.

Comment

So do you have a dedicated smoke box igniter burner? How many main burners. Are the control knobs on the front panel or right side shelf?

Comment

The smoke box is between the burner that is on and the wall of the BBQ. Three burners plus a sear one. The pans are over the right two and sear burner that are off. The left one is only on low. The knobs are on the front, one for each burner, including the sear burner.

Comment

Here's a pic of it. Temps is mid fifties

Comment

Seems to have stabilised at 230. Is that ok?

Also, I can't seem to achieve the blue smoke. I had fairly faint white or grey smoke that I think bordered blue then it got more bulky and white as time went on. I did a dry run yesterday and ignited the wood with s lighter when it didn't catch. That didn't help. Any secrets to getting this blue smoke consistently?

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
              Jerod Broussard commented
              Editing a comment
              230 is more than fine. My blue smoke using gas comes from a chunk of wood touching the flame and getting BURNED UP. In fact, it comes out so clear most the time I have to check the wood to see if it is still burning.
              Last edited by Jerod Broussard; May 24, 2015, 02:13 PM.

230 is fine. 240 isn't bad either, really. Some people even recommend 250. You just don't want 325.

Comment

Cheers lads! So how should I get the wood chunks close to the flame? There is too big of a gap to wedge it in between and I put one in the bottom of the grill near the burner and it didn't catch. Should I use the lighter again?

Comment

Originally posted by dancingzorba View Post
                Cheers lads! So how should I get the wood chunks close to the flame? There is too big of a gap to wedge it in between and I put one in the bottom of the grill near the burner and it didn't catch. Should I use the lighter again?

The setup looks spot on to me. I wouldn't worry about hitting 225F. 230F to 240F will still provide great results. I also wouldn't stress too much over the color of the smoke. Taste the food. If it's good, the smoke is good! If you the smoke flavor has a bitter or harsh acrid taste, then you know you need to work on cleaner smoke. For your situation an A maze n smoke tube might be the way to go.

Comment

Thanks David! The rubs were spot on, will google your suggestions as they went clean over my head.

Comment

Very cool David!

Shop for wood pellet grills, smokers, and griddles. Try new recipes and learn about our 8-in-1 grill versatility. Our grills help you craft BBQ recipes to perfection.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here