Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought my first gas grill in years

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought my first gas grill in years

I love grilling and smoking on my Weber OTG, and for the most part I have not even looked at my gas grill (a Char-Griller I bought at Lowe's for $150 before I knew any better) since I moved back to charcoal last year. And with good reason - the Char-Griller had turned into a rusted mess (even with recommended maintenance) that I preferred not to even look at.

But, there was a problem. I travel a lot for work, and with the weather approaching paradise here, my wife is unwilling to deal with the Weber. "I don't know how to work with that thing" has been a familiar weeknight refrain when I call home. And the lump of rust was unappealing and difficult for her to use. And it became apparent on weekends that she had no interest in learning how to get familiar with charcoal.

So, I bit the bullet yesterday and bought a Weber Spirit E-210 (the painted model). I tried to buy it at my local grill store, but they did not have the model in stock and could not give me an ETA on their next shipment. Which was too bad, as I wanted to have it for Memorial Day weekend and wanted to support a local business (which I did in a smaller way by buying a Weber cover and handle light for it as well as several bags of wood chunks before I left). So I ended up buying one at Lowe's, which was not my preferred choice, but they had exactly what I wanted in stock.

I would have loved to buy a Genesis, but the cost of entry was a bit steep for me. So I bought the Spirit knowing that it was not a "Made in USA" Weber and reading some heartburn in various reviews over this. So far I am not disappointed in the least with the Spirit, it is by far the highest quality gas grill I have had. Assembly was very easy (once I got the huge box into my car and home) and every component was solid and very high quality in comparison to other grills I have assembled.

Cooked dinner on it last night (Meathead's Crispy Salmon recipe) and was very happy with how the grill worked. Got plenty hot rather quickly and got a cast iron pan up to temp fast. Will use it tonight as a true grill with chicken and I'm sure it will come in handy with a crowd this weekend as I will be able to use it and the kettle simultaneously.

Size is perfect for our "normal" use (me, my wife and 2 college students who come and go ), the 3-burner would have been overkill for us. Looking forward to many years of use with this!

You can't go wrong with Weber. The majority of gas grill owners balk at spending more than a few hundred bucks, but just about all who finally buy a quality gasser are amazed by what they've been missing. You chose well!

Comment

Your wife won't touch the charcoal? Sheesh. Mine won't even touch a gasser. She does make a good burger in a skillet, though.

Comment

Similar situation. Owned a BK Keg for 15 years. Used it 4 or 5 nights /week year round here in Boston. A couple years ago bought a Weber q1200 for my daughter's apartment. Used it a couple times and said," I gotta get me one of these!" I did! The BK Keg is now gone , replaced it with a PK360 this year, but just last night cooked 4 boneless skinless teriyaki chix breast on the Q1200 and was eating the chicken in the same time I would have been dumping hot coals into the PK! You want to cook and eat quickly? Highly recomend the Q1200.!

Comment

I'm blessed with a wife who can cook on our gasser as well as the kettle. Because she is so more patient then me, she does a much better job grilling chicken than I.

Comment

Should have just bought a new wife...

I kid. I kid.

Congrats on the new toy, and on having a wife that will at least use a passer.

Comment

Congrats.

My Wife can cook on the Kettle, but only if I get it ready.

Comment

My sister will not cook outside. That is my department as I am told.

Comment

Nothing wrong with that. When my wife wanted her own grill I got her an infrared two burner Charbroil she loves. Quick, convenient, no fuss. She even let's me use it now and then when time is a factor.

Comment

I echo Max. So ya didn’t get a big one, but at least ya didn’t get a cheap one. The Weber will serve you well. Cool! Enjoy the cooker. No excuse to cook more! 👍

Comment

What is up with all these old posts getting resurrected 7 years after the fact, haha!?

Comment

• FireMan
                        FireMan commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Hey kemosabe, this one here is "legit" cuz O’l RisRis has been around fer 2 yrs. Usually it’s spamsters.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here