Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Genesis gas grill as a smoker.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Genesis gas grill as a smoker.

Hello to all, I am not a big posting guy but i have now done a small brisket flat 3.5lb and a 3.3lb pork shoulder on my genesis special edition 3 burner. Using probes I was quite surprised that with the far right burner on medium i could hold 250 to 260 degree temps. On the pork I used a caveman wood chip box over the right burner. Really impressed with the temp control. I have to say it is easier with the grill then my LP vertical box smoker. I need to experiment more with the smoke box. I have found the gas grill to fill a void when mother nature doesn't cooperate in northwest Indiana for my kettle.

Smoke on! I love doing indirect THICK steaks in the gasser since the searing station is close by and I don't see a bunch of leftover charcoal when I'm done.

Comment

Glad to hear of ya findin ways to prevail, despite th conditions!

Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
      Lookin forward to learnin along with, an from ya!

Comment

I just used a smoke box in my gas grill tonight. That was the first time with this grill..I just did brats though so it was a quick cook. I can't see myself doing a pork butt that way though since I have other options.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit.

Comment

A Genesis and a smoke box is what got me into smoking. Worked good for me but enticed me into adding the smoker. Now the Genesis doesn't get nearly the love it used to.

Comment

• Argoboy
              Argoboy commented
              Editing a comment
              Same is true for me I used a smoke box on my Napoleon grill with good results and after that I got a pellet smoker.

That’s how I started, too, on my weber Spirit. I found on the little weber it was hard to keep temps consistent, so a lot of fiddling with two burners, but fun all the same.

Of course I then had to upgrade to a kettle. Then mod the kettle. Then get a pit fan and control. And SnS. And a gasket. And a better pit fan with wifi control. Then a Summit charcoal. And a fireboard. And a LP SnS. And now I want a Lang. With the warming box. And...wait, what were we taking about?

Comment

For years I did ribs on my gasser using a two zone setup and wood chips. They always came out pretty good... i means, they’re ribs, after all!

Welcome!

Comment

That is the way I first tried smoking as well. It does work well although usually pretty mild smoke due to all the air flow in a gas unit. What don’t you like about your vertical smoker?

Comment

Like mentioned I’ve done tons of two zone cooks on my Weber Summit. Never had much luck with the smoke box or added tubes. Just a waste of time imo, too much combustion gases being sucked straight out of the cooking chamber.

Having said that, I do love the results, especially the rotisserie. It’s just not the same as a good cook over charcoal, never will be.

Comment

Just joined.
                    Here in Sunny Qld, Australia. Just coming into our winter.
                    Had the Genisis for about 15 years, or more. and have only really just started playing with the somker during the CoVid lockdown. Making and smoking my 3rd pork belly into a nice slab of bacon....
                    First 2 slabs barely made it from the BBQ (What most you guys call a grill) to the table. Smelt so good, and the neighbours could smell the smoke, and immediately brought over some magic amber fluid, and we sliced that bacon, and it tadte, and flavour.. wow, was like a honeymoon night all over again, only I knew I could recreate it again, and again.

This third slab I have done a wet brine, with maple syrup, and half a cup of ground coffee beans.
                    Gotta give it a go..

The only issue I struggle with, is replacing the wood chips to keep the smoker smoking. Pulling out the hot smoker box, emptying the spent charcoal, and putting in fresh chips was a delicate operation while that smoking box was hot, but the results are pretty good..

Cheers
                    Attached Files

Comment

I smoked on my gassers for years before adding smokers/cookers to my BBQ Toy Collection. We were always pleased with the results.

Never had much use for the smoker box, though, until I started putting some smallish wood chunks into it. The chips would just burn down too fast. Then I started putting wood chunks on the flavorizer bar. Meathead has some great gasser smoker setups in this article over on the free side: https://amazingribs.com/more-techniq...aintenance-and

It's the first article that brought me to AR many years ago--along with the Last Meal Ribs recipe.

I don't use the gasser for smoking any more except for the occasional piece of salmon that I want to infuse with a bit of smoke flavor.

Kathryn

Comment

I have a Huntington (e.g., Broil King) with a fast aluminum box that will hold 225 with 1 burner on low. I started with one of those metal boxes with wood chips, but you do have to add chips a lot later I added an amazn tube and use both at the same time. It helps. I've done ribs mostly, and they came out good, but also a shoulder and brisket a few times. Not as good as my kettle, but good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here