Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firebox out of square.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firebox out of square.

My pre-2011 Weber Genesis E320 is a little bowed out in front. I first notice this when I got my grilled grates and they would fall in when I try to clean them. I thought maybe it was just the grill grates not being exactly the right fit. But now that I look more closely it is pretty clearly bowed out. Anyone else have this issue? Is it fixable?
    Attached Files

Weird. I don't have that grill but I wonder if something inside had come loose - a bolt, etc - and let that happen. I'd hit up Weber if looking at it doesn't reveal anything obvious.

Of course, in this forum, people are likely to say ' this is a great excuse to get a new cooker!' because, well, we're addicts like that.

Comment

• BabelBBQ
      BabelBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I have three 22" kettles, one 14" smokey Joe, a 55 gallon drum smoker, pellet smoker, and this has Weber Genesis. I am actually wondering if the new Weber Smoke fire could serve as a replacement for the pellet and Weber Genesis. My main use of this grill is for convenient fast set up for weeknight meals and pizza. I'm thinking the smoke fire would be good for pizza. Just not sure if it would be as quick and convenient as a gas grill.

I don't have a gasser, but if you can get the top off, it should be fixable. Do you have a woodworking pipe clamp that will fit across the width of the unit? Or maybe you could borrow one.
    Here's what I would do:
    1 Remove the top
    2 Use either a 2 x 4 or a piece of angle iron to reinforce the straight side
    3 Place the pipe clamp across the reinforced side so that it will contact the bent side
    4 Tighten the clamp until the bent side is straight being careful to not go too far
    5 Celebrate your success by consuming and adult beverage or three.

Comment

• ssandy_561
      ssandy_561 commented
      Editing a comment
      Or just smack it with a mallet a few times.

😝

• BabelBBQ
      BabelBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      I was thinking something like this, but wasn't sure what clamp would work best. Thanks

It looks like it's made from cast aluminum. That means you need to be careful. Applying the correct amount of force with some type of mallet would be iffy. And you would need either a dead blow mallet or a hard rubber mallet. I think you would have more control with a clamp. However, I have not stayed at a Holiday Inn for many years, so I could be wrong...

Comment

Do you have a Harbor Freight close? I’d probably try a couple bar clamps with maybe a 2x4 to even out pressure. However, I’d call Weber first before actually doing it.

Comment

• BabelBBQ
        BabelBBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        I registered the grill on Weber.com. Found out that the cook box/cast aluminum part is warrantied for 25 years. This is a 2007 grill so I'm well within the 25 years. They are sending out the part free of charge! Thank you Weber.

Weber comes through again! And that's much better than bangin' on dat box.

Comment

BabelBBQ I was going to suggest calling Weber, and making a warranty claim. Glad you found out it was under warranty, as that thing was very warped!

I guess that means the firebox on my 2002 Genesis is still under warranty too, haha. That's crazy!

Comment

• BabelBBQ
          BabelBBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          I was surprised that it was still covered. There are a few other issues that I'll try to take care of when I take it apart to replace the part, but nothing major.

The new firebox arrived already. I probably won't get a chance to install it until the weekend at the earliest. They three an igniter in with it. That hasn't worked in years, so I'm excited about that.

Might replaceme the burners if the look at all suspicious when I take them out. Going to be like having a new grill.

Comment

Being at home had given me some time to work on this repair. However having 5 kids and being a high school teacher makes it pretty limited time.

I've taken it apart. Burner tubes are in really good shape, I only need to replace the crossover ignition bar. Called Weber under $4 shipped to me.

Some difficulty removing bolts that were 13 years old and seemed fused to the firebox. But eventually got them out.

My current concern is rust. I've cleaned up the bottom pannel and painted with some high heat silver I had from my UDS. Since this is enclosed I don't really care about the color being different. I'd like to clean up the frame on the left pannel an paint with a grey at least close to the Weber grey color. Has anyone painted their Genesis with something close? Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_091644.jpg
Views:	704
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	825154Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200403_091648.jpg
Views:	619
Size:	209.5 KB
ID:	825155 ​​​​​​​

​

Comment

Has anyone else been trying to get into contact with Weber? I am still working on this repair. You would think that being at home full time have given me more opportunities to spend on projects, but being a teacher with five kids at home these days are long. I have spent more time sanding off rust and painted with a grey color (didn't match, but at least all of the rust is painted over). My only sticking point right now is the clips and screws that hold the side burner gas line in place under the grill. Those did not come with the firebox, but were rusted and broke off during the removal.

I have tried using the online support with Weber, phone calls and replying to the old email thread I had with them. The strange thing is my first email received a reply within an hour requesting additional information. I sent that information right away, but it has now it has been over a week. I'm guessing that the original email was an automatic reply.

I do understand that these are unprecedented times, so and I'm sure that stay at home orders are the reason for the delay. I'm really just wondering if anyone has an info about Weber and whether they are currently not able to process customer service calls and emails at all. Or if anyone else has tried to communicate with them and is getting a response.

Thanks

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              I would guess that the ability of Weber to process your replacement grill body depends on Illinois (they are in Palatine Illinois) stay at home orders, and whether Weber is considered an "essential" business that was allowed to remain open. A lot of office workers and customer support could have been sent to work from home, but warehouses and shipping out of parts might be shut down.

I finally got my grill repair finished. Took a lot longer than it should. Partly my fault for having to many unfinished projects around the house. Partly my wife coming up with new projects as well. But it is done. I was very glad to have it up and running again for some burgers last night.
            ​ ​

Two tone paint covering the rust, but doesn't look too bad. I also used a couple of brackets to secure the bottom panel since one of the connecting points rusted away.
            ​ ​

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here