Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Natural Gas vs. Propane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Natural Gas vs. Propane

I recently moved and am in the market for a new grill for the new house. I am focusing on the Weber Summit 670, but have a decision to make...natural gas or propane. My house has natural gas and there is even an outlet in the back yard that I can use to hook up to a grill (though I might need a 10' hose to get from the outlet to the grill). At my old house, I used propane. Question is...other than the convenience of not having to take the propane tank out to get recharged every couple of weeks, is there a benefit to having one vs. the other?
    Thanks!

Price??

Comment

Go with the natural gas! It is effective and convenient when you have it already there.

When we had our house built, I had a gas outlet put at the covered back porch/patio. It is mighty handy not having to mess with propane bottles for my gas grill.
      Last edited by Alphonse; January 27, 2020, 07:34 PM.

Comment

• Argoboy
        Argoboy commented
        Editing a comment
        The only concern with natural gas is if you leave it on you could end up with a very large gas bill. We have natural gas but we keep our grill covered when not in use.

• Alphonse
        Alphonse commented
        Editing a comment
        Safety first with all gas. Turn it off the supply valve immediately when you shut the grill down. I don't rely on the valves on the grill or the hose.

I ran a natural gas line for my grill. It’s way cheaper than propane and it’s great to never worry about it running out.

Comment

When I moved into my house it had NG pipes to the patio for a bbq. I have LOVED it. I converted my Weber and the Smoke Vault chugs away on NG. The flat tops are NG compatible too. Make sure you have a shut off valve on the line for safety. You can buy conversion kits to switch back to propane if you move, but it will likely void any warranty.

Comment

I'd gladly hook my griddle up to NG and be done. But I live in the country, no gas piped in, no cable, heck not even a sewer line. So I have to keep the tanks and make the trips to refill.

Comment

• Dr. Pepper
            Dr. Pepper commented
            Editing a comment
            ComfortablyNumb Can't you pipe some of that methane we hear about, from the cows' bottoms to your grill? Seems like you should have all the gas you need!

• ComfortablyNumb
            ComfortablyNumb commented
            Editing a comment
            Dr. Pepper I don't have any cows, but I do have a pot of beans!

I would go with what you have. My home is is propane for heat, hot water and fire place. Had a bulk install done. No more tanks. Since you've got the outlet and it's NG, just do it.

Comment

I've had NG in the past and it was nice to NEVER worry with having a 20 lb propane tank go belly up in the middle of a cook. I still have the hookup, but my current grill is setup for LP, and Weber doesn't support switching it. I could certainly do so, but the old hookup is also a good ways from where my grills are today.

Comment

Natty all the way.

Comment

thanks everyone for the advice. Figured it might make sense to go with NG, but having never grilled with it, just wanted to make sure there wasn't some sort of unknown issue.

Comment

Natural gas does not burn as hot as propane, but that shouldn't be an issue. Plenty of folks have natural gas feeding their gassers.

From Barbecues Galore website:

Click image for larger version  Name:	Propane vs. Natural Gas for Gas Grills.jpg Views:	0 Size:	43.5 KB ID:	797138

Kathryn

Comment

As long as you get the NG version of that grill you would be good to go...it will have the burners designed for the difference compared to LP. (See fzxdoc post above.)

I’d have to have a new line installed, along with changing/drilling out burners/valves/etc...so for now, I’ll stick with LP tanks. NG would be convenient though...so long as I didn’t want to rearrange stuff, like when I bring a new cooker into the mix.

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is my biggest issue with it. The NG hookup is at the end of the house, on the outside of the fireplace, Teed off the pipe to the gas logs in the fireplace. It's only useful if I want to grill next to the wood pile (I got rid of the gas logs) and the trashcan, isolated at the end of the house. I've made a nicer outdoor cooking area next to the pool, so that I can hang out with a ceiling fan, seating, tables, etc, so just deal with propane tanks for now.

• surfdog
                      surfdog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I get that. One of my previous houses had a gas line "conveniently" located...so long as that was where I wanted the grill. LOL Eh, no.

And then there's the whole MCS issue. I just picked up a CampChef Somerset IV. That meant A) a bit of rearranging...and B) yet another gas line should I want to change my gasser & griddle over to NG. IDK, it's just seems so much easier to simply exchange tanks as needed. And since I ALWAYS keep a full spare on hand it's not really an issue.

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Yeah surfdog, I've decided I value portability and being able to shuffle and rearrange cookers too much to be tied to that once spot. Now my previous house had a NG hookup for the grill, and I recall being tethered to a 10 foot red rubber line or something like that, with the quick connects at each end. It worked out as long as I kept that hose out of way at the edge of the deck. Like you, I always have a spare on hand.

NG does not burn as hot, and puts off moremoisture, that being said, it is not as effected by cold and it hot weather.

Comment

I've got natural gas also. Or so my wife tells me.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here