Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Customizing my Weber S470 for Snmoking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's cool, I like gizmos also. I also subscribe the the premise that "He who dies with the most toys wins". My DW doesn't always see it that way but she really supports me most of the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Marauderer View Post
      That's cool, I like gizmos also. I also subscribe the the premise that "He who dies with the most toys wins". My DW doesn't always see it that way but she really supports me most of the time.
      Same here - my lovely wife really does enable my disease.

Comment

• The Burn
        The Burn commented
        Editing a comment
        My girlfriend caught a bit of my gadget addiction when I moved in a few years back - bread machine, Blend-Tec blender, etc. And she likes my grilling & smoking, so she'll be okay when she comes home Sunday to find my new OTG w/smokenator & a 2nd ET-732 for it.

All right already with the tin mans cover. What's going on with the smoke?

Inquiring minds wanna know.

Comment

I had hickory smoke the first hour and then I had to many other things going like the rains came. So i wished i had smoked them for at least another hour but I think they will be fine. I am just hitting 170*F and 7.5 hrs into the cooking. I wonder if the stall will be there. I have kept the temp mostly at 225 but one time when I was away from the smoker for a while it got up to 240*F.

This is what they looked like at 6:30 and 162*F internal temp when I had to add water.

Comment

Nice looking good

Comment

The rain has returned and the temps are 130*F box temp and 172*F meat internal temp at 8:40. Internal temp hung at 169*F for only 1 hour and is trying to move but has been at 172 for about 30 min.

Comment

You going to ride it out? Crutch it? Or head for the oven?

Comment

I will ride it out. I check the water pan and refill every 2 hrs so in 30 min I will do that. I haven't crutch any yet in the three that I have done prior to these two. These two are monsters compared to the 5 lb'ers I have done before.

Comment

Hats off to you sir. WTG

Comment

Marauderer the Monsoon Smoker

Comment

• Jon Solberg
                      Jon Solberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That should be a Warren Zevon song

Hanging at 185*F. I raised the box temp to 245*F and now letting it coast back down to 225-235*F. At 12:30 am it will be 12 hrs and hopefully when it reaches 195*F the fork will turn easily and it will be done. I originally planned to get it started by 9 am as had an appointment I had to make at 8 am. The ideal thing would have been to start it at first light, about 6:30 am in my area.

Comment

At 1:30 this morning the one butt read 195*F and the other 204*F and I took them both off. I tried to post then but the system must have been down for maintenance.

It is after 2 am and I am going to crash for a while. When I get up I will pull all of this.

​

Comment

Way to stick with it Barry. Looks really good.

Comment

When I got up this morning I pulled both the Butts. I just use two table forks or one table fork anf a wood handle two tine serving fork.

After its was pulled most went in the freezer for meals in the next month or so. I know freezing is not good for flavor but it will still be better than most of the pulled pork that is available commercially and at restaurants.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                            Way to stick with it Barry. Looks really good.
                            Thanks Jon! So, what I learned from this experience. My two zone was considerably different in the cook time between the over the water grate and the regular grate between the water box and the smoker box. I am considering moving my water box to the right side so the smoker burner and the main burner that I use are on the same end. Also I ordered some insulation that MH recommends for tightening up the box cover and making it tighter. I will do a separate build thread on that when it comes in. I ordered it from Amazon and it wasn't a Prime item and it said about two weeks for delivery. I am also going to get a large umbrella so it shades the unit and also helps keep the rain off in the future (that was an interesting twist on the event). I also don't plan on using the 9 lb boneless butts in the future. I am going back to 5 lbers. and last I didn't really enjoy being up till 2:15 am this morning and am defrinitely considering my options other than just starting at first blight in the morning. I am looking real hard and getting a pellet unit, looking hard at the Rec Tec and also considering building my own smoke house modeled after "Virginia Dave's"except use a pellet unit for fire.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here